Nice color in Pittsburg NH--Google Pittsburg NH Webcams

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Nice color in Pittsburg NH--Google Pittsburg NH Webcams

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:45 am

looks good

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Nice color in Pittsburg NH--Google Pittsburg NH Webcams

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 am

Hi Wentworth! Have a great trip! :D

edmcguirk

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:24 am

Wow the color in Pittsburg has had a very noticeable change in the past 3 days or so, it looks like everything up north is really starting to accelerate now.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi Ed: Maybe I'll go to NH with Tim now on Wednesday the 3rd if it is looking great! We were planning on the NEK area. Things will move faster if we get a few, good cold snaps. Ugh, so much to see and do. Wentworth, if you go to NH, keep us posted!!! CT

edmcguirk

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:14 am

ctyanky wrote:Hi Ed: Maybe I'll go to NH with Tim now on Wednesday the 3rd if it is looking great! We were planning on the NEK area. Things will move faster if we get a few, good cold snaps. Ugh, so much to see and do. Wentworth, if you go to NH, keep us posted!!! CT
Ctyanky, that's okay, Pittsburg looks like it is coming on strong. If you end up in Pittsburg, be sure to visit the covered bridge that's at the end of Bacon Street right off Rt.3. From the bridge there are some nice views of the Connecticut River facing upstream. First Connecticut Lake, Big Brook Bog and East Inlet are some off the beaten path places in Pittsburg that are interesting to see.

With the season running late this year, a trip to the Quabbin in the 10/14 to 10/16 time range should have good color, and I will be happy to show you around the reservoir.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:38 am

Hi Ed: I have our Quabbin preliminary dates on my calendar and am really looking forward to our trek around the pond and area! The color should be quite good and I'm glad we are doing it at this time frame! CT

minnesotaman

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:22 pm

I was up in northern NH today, including the triangular area bounded by Pittsburg, Colebrook and Stewartstown. This area presently has the best color I have seen by a factor of two or three (in the last three days I have seen most of the NEK, the US 91 corridor, the Kanc, and the Woodstock Pomfret area).

The color in this part of NH is about five or six days from peaking, I would say, although I talked to a Colebrook resident who thinks more than a week before peak. It is noticeably greener in Colebrook than in Pittsburg (I traveled up 145). A lot of reds and strong oranges coming on. Right now, about 50% in the northern parts of this triangle, but looking like it could come on fast.

By comparison, most of VT is still relatively green. The brightest color I have seen so far in VT is 114 coming south out of Island Pond. Stannard Mtn Road is coming along, perhaps 40% in some areas, less in others. Sheffield and Wheelock areas also looked a bit ahead of other areas. On the whole, my guess is that the NEK will be good this coming weekend, and certainly within 7 or 8 days, assuming the weather remains as it has been the last few days. Higher elevations of 91 in the vicinity of St Johnsbury/Lyndon are getting good color. What I have seen south of Lyndon/St. Johnsbury is still mostly green with some pockets of early color.

Willoughby and the ponds (Job's, Long, Wheeler etc) all still look early to me. Job's a bit farther along with a good stripe of orange/russet across from the boat landing area. Job's could be very good by mid-week, I think. Willoughby is taking its time. Darling Hill Rd in Burke is quite early, and the view of Burke Mtn from there was still very early color as of today.

The Kanc (I saw it two days ago) was perhaps 25%, some areas better, some still green. The Kanc seems to brighten up quickly, and it looks ready and ripe this year. Certainly shows much more potential than last year. The elevation of the Kanc means it is always at risk for rapid leaf drop from wind and rainstorms. If the weather cooperates, it should be pretty good by this weekend. With uncooperative weather the riper leaves often get knocked off up there overnight, in my experience--it can look great one day and bust the next. But the trees look healthier and may withstand the rain forecast for Tuesday, esp since it is still early color there.

The Franconia/Sugar Hill area, and 112/116 in NH are perhaps 25 percent, a bit more on some hills esp back around Sugar Hill. A couple days of crisp weather and it would pop quickly. Again, the foliage looks healthy. As someone noted here, the Franconia Notch area looks very green. Beaver Pond on 112 is still mostly green.

The Woodstock/Pomfret area is still quite green, with just a bit of light yellow and orange. Looks to me like at least ten days to go, maybe more, which would be consistent with the last few years. Last year this area suffered badly from the drought and heat, and the leaves turned a dirty yellow brown mustard color and then fell off early. There is very little sign of that this year, although some trees look stressed. The good news in this area is that the cool mornings seem to have arrived, which should trigger some color. I scraped ice off my windshield before starting out this morning.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Excellent report Minn! I knew you would come through with a top notch on the spot report! Excellent! I'm thinking a week to "maybe" 10 days is how the foliage is running late this season. Thanks again for all your time spent on the road but you bring us much heralded news on the conditions up there! There are varied reports of rain off and on every other day coming now in Vermont. CT

minnesotaman

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 pm

i agree, a week or so in most areas, i would say. however, unlike last year, things look healthy. Last year the green was a dull matte color. not this time. this looks like a year with good potential if the weather continues in its current trend. people with plans for the NEK for next weekend are likely to be pleased.

MinnieB

Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 pm

There are pockets of good color between Enfield, NH and Canaan. And along Rt 118 in Dorchester. But the rest is still early and just beginning to turn. I noticed a lot around Quechee and Woodstock, VT that some trees start to turn yellow but then turn brown. Kind of what we saw happening last fall. I noticed some brown trees in Quechee, too. I hiked the AT between Pomfret Rd ad Cloudland Road today and just some early dulll color at the lookout points. Quechee Gorge had a few brightly colored trees, but mostly green still. Maybe another week.

wentworth

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:17 am

Color looks even better in Pittsburg NH this morning, should be near peak soon

triz

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:39 am

MinnieB wrote: I noticed a lot around Quechee and Woodstock, VT that some trees start to turn yellow but then turn brown. Kind of what we saw happening last fall. I noticed some brown trees in Quechee, too.
I would add that in Central and South Vermont temperatures will be rising again next week, instead of going down. This is not going to help things there.

minnesotaman

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:21 pm

I abandoned plans to travel to portland today and instead returned to the NEK, up 91 to lyndon, 114 to 5, then 5A, then Newark Rd and Job's pond, then Island Pond and up 114 from there to norton pond, then back to west burke, bean pond, up 5 to barton, and back down 91.

there is very good color pretty much everywhere i went lyndon and north. a lot of reds and bright oranges. against black wet tree bark quite pleasing to see. newark area especially. perhaps a tiny little bit further behind in west burke, darling hill road itself still greenish, but the mountain itself is changing fast. color is coming on fast in st johnsbury area and will be great in a couple days. a good weekend to be in the NEK.

coming back down 91 the color is still early south of st johnsbury. but the trees all look very healthy.

although it was raining hard, and the wind was blowing off and on, i did not see leaves in the air anywhere.

in the woodstock area some more yellows are coming in, and a bit of duller oranges. looking like it has potential when it finally does pop.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Minn: Nice report, I had a feeling you were going to skip Portland! The draw is too much for you, you have to do your fact finding tours that you mentioned to me. Are the 12 hours days over yet? :wink:

I'm looking forward to going up tomorrow with Phil and meeting up with Tim. He said Seymour Lake and Morgan are hot spots too, we'll probably do many of the places you mentioned. So much to see and do and explore. You just can't be everywhere!

Did you get to Stannard?