Southern VT foliage update and quite an amazing day to start!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Southern VT foliage update and quite an amazing day to start!

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:52 pm

Hello from the gorgeous state of Vermont! :D I started out in a bit of drizzle this morning but as soon as I got past Halifax the sky brightened! Route 112 is such a fantastic road (beautiful countryside and rolling hills and farms and farm stands) to take off the Mohawk Trail into Colrain and then VT 100 to route 9. The best color I saw was in Woodford! The highlands will be great by Columbus Day Weekend. I stopped at the Bennington Monument and then went to the Apple Barn and dropped a few bucks on moose slippers, cider donuts, fresh apples and BAKED GOODS! The place is awesome, I stop here every year. I followed route 7 into North Benn where I settled into my very own country cottage on a private estate! I'm loving it here! As I mentioned before, this is my riding weekend and today my lesson was a full hour and I think I lost 5 pounds! :lol: It was really hard work as I am transitioning from western to English saddle. I was in a full sweat and then dear Charles (ixl) was ready to come get me for the afternoon. It was so wonderful to meet up with him, he is the sweetest guy ever and such a phenomenal photographer! A quick change out of horsey clothes and then I pleaded with him for a hike so we went to the "Mile Around Woods" nearby for a short hike into a forest. Just beautiful! We worked up an appetite and Charles took me to a bar/pub in town and it was yummy! Tomorrow he is picking me up after breakfast and we are taking the Kelly Stand Road to Grout Pond and hiking all the way around, and then to see the work he has done on his Somerset Cottage. Sunday is my trail ride and another lesson here at the equestrian center and then off to Warren Monday to chase the foliage color!

Color is early here but coming along fast and after Columbus Day should be excellent. I've never seen the trees so healthy and the season looks so promising!

I love being so active up here, but most of all, it is great to be with my dear friend Charles! Big hugs to you ixl! :) CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

triz

Re: Southern VT foliage update and quite an amazing day to start!

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 am

Hi CT, how did the Berkshire/SW VT look? I will be there in two weeks.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Triz! I think SO VT will be approaching high color around the end of Columbus Day and a bit thereafter. Charles thinks the highlands of the route 9 area will go faster and since he lives here, he should know. I spent the entire day tooling around with him and the color is coming on slowly but uniformly down here in SW VT. No leaf drop!!!! The same probably for the Berkshires but I don't know for sure, because I haven't gone there yet! I am planning on taking 7 all the way home to CT thru Williamstown and the Mohawk Trail just before you arrive the following weekend. I will have a better idea then! Things are moving fairly well albeit later than usual in SW VT but it is looking quite good everywhere we went. I'll post a bit later tonight because I just got home from a LONG, challenging hike that we did all the way around Grout Pond! Now I am off to a sumptuous dinner at the Publyk House in N Benn with views of the monument all lit up! No rest for the weary!!! :mrgreen: More later! CT

triz

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am

Hi CT do you think that the color you saw in Woodford may last 10 more days? I should be the Oct 12 late afternoon or 13 early morning.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:28 am

Triz, I think Woodford (highlands) may pass by the time you get there in all honesty. But the area surrounding 9 (minus the highlands) should be just fine. You will be fine heading south on 7 to Williamstown to Mohawk Trail. As you leave Williamstown, stop and turn around at the height of 7 and see the amazing views north at the apple orchards!