Foliage forecast update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Re: Foliage forecast update

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 am

Another late Fall, continuing the pattern that started in 2015--Although Low temperatures are way above normal the next week or so, colder than normal temps in Island Pond 23rd thru 25th should kickstart the Fall colors in the Northeast Kingdom nicely--Remnants of hurricane Florence will zoom thru in a few days, shouldn't have any negative effect, like the Irene disaster of 2011

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:07 am

Hi Janice! I always follow this link. It comes on every week with a new update and it is pretty much spot on with little embellishment of the actual foliage situation.

I'm off to Vermont tomorrow for the day as I couldn't wait another 10 days to get my "Vermont Shot In the Arm". Pretty much southern Vermont (which will be green) but we are going to the Chester Fall Foliage Craft Fair and back roads in the area including the infamous Popple Dungeon Road!!!! Love the Chester area! I want to stop at Bromley Mountain to check out the schedule for the zip lines for when I am in Manchester! Long day! :wink:

Still looking forward to meeting up with you :!:

http://chesterfallfestival.org/wp/

loafer89

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:39 pm

It's 89F here in Enfield at 4pm on 9/16, just 6 days away from fall. It really needs to start cooling down, though it's nice to see the sunshine after a week of grey skies. I drove to Burr Pond to go swimming, which is the latest I can recall doing that. It's primarily green along Routes 318, 44 and 8 with just a few scattered trees changing color.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Hey Loafer! Wow, it was really hot in So. Vermont today. Mostly in the low to mid 80s depending on the elevation. So warm, that at the Bromley summit everyone was in shorts and t shirts! No breeze either. When we got to the Dorset quarry, it was packed with swimmers and sunbathers and it was hotter there. I agree, I am hoping that it cools down fast. But it was an exquisite day up there today and allowed for a lot of recreational activities. I saw many bike groups, motorcycles, people on the reservoirs, etc. The ice cream places were packed! :wink:

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 am

Hot,hot,hot! I think we are all tried of the heat. 85 again here at home today, my daughter in Lisbo,NH says 80 for them today. Ugh! But looks like beginning tomorrow we’ll both get a cool down with more seasonal temps., just in time for the official first day of Autumn!

Hey, CT, we arrive in Boston early the morning of the 5th. My daughter will be picking us up and wants to spend the day down there. Probably do the Capital tour Sat the 6th. Will let you know as soon as we firm things up. Probably spend the first few days in NE kingdom. Let me know if those dates fit with you intinerary. Only a little more than two weeks! Wahoo!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:17 am

Hi Janice! Phil and I are doing the state house Tuesday, October 2nd. Then lots of backroads around there. I'm in Manchester Columbus Day Weekend and can drive up to meet you somewhere? I have Saturday and Sunday free as I am totally busy on Columbus Day itself, leaving the next day! I have thoughts that you might consider and which the family might like. We could meet at the Danville Autumn on the Green festival or meet at Owls Head in Groton, both of which are 2 hours from my inn. Let me know if these "might" work or we can figure it out.

I'm not working anymore, wish I could extend the vacation a bit but have obligations. (I'm committed to working - I should say volunteering - at my horse stables so that's why the trip ends the day after Columbus Day!)

Hope to hear from you when your plans are firm and what you think of my ideas, unless you have better ones! :D

Texas_Aggie

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:09 pm

What makes Popple Dungeon infamous?

minnesotaman

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:01 pm

regarding the name "popple dungeon":

popple for poplar and similar types of tree

dungeon for the trees on either side meeting above the road, making it dark.

it is, i think, an old name for this road.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:34 pm

http://vermontjournal.com/ron-patch/pop ... pest-house

I found this online and I think there is an old Pest Cemetery there. There was a nudist camp there in the 60's called Woodlands I believe (unless someone corrects me with more accurate information) but all that is on Nudist Camp Road is a secluded community of regular homes.

I know folks drive down it just to take a pic the sign "Nudist Camp Road" but Popple Dungeon is a really nice backroad drive and we take it from Chester to get off 11 for a change of scenery. We never see anyone on this road so it is truly peaceful and lovely in the fall!

Thanks Minn, nice bit of data! I'll email my friend who just moved from Chester to Arizona and he seems to know a lot about the area (he is on the forum bvahjen).

So I guess the main draw is the unknown about the area because it is somewhat untraveled mid way to the end and the name is quite enchanting! :wink:

Texas_Aggie

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks for the explanations!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:42 pm

Texas: Chester, Andover, Weston, Grafton, Newfane and Townshend are some beautiful areas. Do you have time to scout these towns out? Also, the Vermont Country Store is on route 103 (Rockingham) on the way up and we love to stop there! I can't resist the place, this one is not as crowded as the one in Weston!

I forgot to mention one important item while you are in Vermont! Don't forget to stop and have a creemee somewhere! There are many places that serve them!

Texas_Aggie

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:51 am

ctyanky wrote:Texas: Chester, Andover, Weston, Grafton, Newfane and Townshend are some beautiful areas. Do you have time to scout these towns out? Also, the Vermont Country Store is on route 103 (Rockingham) on the way up and we love to stop there! I can't resist the place, this one is not as crowded as the one in Weston!

I forgot to mention one important item while you are in Vermont! Don't forget to stop and have a creemee somewhere! There are many places that serve them!
most of my scouting will be online, and some places that my wife's cousin can scout out beforehand. We arrive late Friday Oct 5th, and will stay until midday monday. We have 4 adults and 4 kids under 4 years old, so we probably won't be hiking anywhere. Just driving back roads, and maybe a gondola ride at Killington or Stowe. Both me and the other husband are into photography, so we will probably steal off a couple of mornings to do sunrise shoots, which is one reason why i want to try to brave the Columbus Day crowds at Jenne Farm, since it is so close to where we are staying.

edmcguirk

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am

most of my scouting will be online, and some places that my wife's cousin can scout out beforehand. We arrive late Friday Oct 5th, and will stay until midday monday. We have 4 adults and 4 kids under 4 years old, so we probably won't be hiking anywhere. Just driving back roads, and maybe a gondola ride at Killington or Stowe. Both me and the other husband are into photography, so we will probably steal off a couple of mornings to do sunrise shoots, which is one reason why i want to try to brave the Columbus Day crowds at Jenne Farm, since it is so close to where we are staying.[/quote]

Texas_Aggie if you are planning on shooting at Jenne Farm over Columbus Day weekend, it can get quite crowded with people, even at sunrise.

If you are planning to try for the classic early morning photograph of standing at the top of the hill and having the maple lined dirt road leading down to the farmhouse, there is room for maybe 10 to 15 people to get that shot. I have been there when there were 20 other photographers behind the 10 in the front row that have the best view. If you want to claim one of the prime spots, plan to be there 60 to 90 minutes before sunrise, especially if there on a weekend day. Of course there are plenty of other spots to stand around the Jenne Farms field with more room, but if you want the calendar shot, be there very early.

Texas_Aggie

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 am

thanks, Ed.

We will be about 30 mins away from Jenne. Sunrise is at 6:50. I would have no problem getting there at 5:30 or earlier, I'll just have to see if my host is willing to get up that early :)

I walked 2.5 miles in the snow, in pitch black early one morning to take this photo in Utah.

https://500px.com/photo/195800325/snow- ... -ed-rhodes