Foliage forecast update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

loafer89

Re: Foliage forecast update

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:27 pm

It's finally cooling down here in Enfield and there are actually quite a few tree's changing color already. We should have a lot more by this time next week. The forecast is calling for temperatures to be below normal for Sunday-Tuesday. I'm planning on going to Kelly Stand Road and the Mount Snow area next weekend if the weather is good.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi Loafer! I might see you there! Charles (ixl from forum) and I are going to go on Kelly Stand and hike Grout Pond Saturday or Sunday of next weekend. Have you been to Grout Pond? It's really nice. He has a cottage on Somerset and we are going to check on the progress he has made fixing it up. Have fun at Mt. Snow! Taking the Blue Bird Express to the summit for views of Somerset? Enjoy!

Keep an eye on the Quabbin for me? I hope to get there the weekend after Columbus Day! CT

edmcguirk

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Texas_Aggie, sounds like you've done this before. If you are serious about "the classic shot" I just wanted to let you know it can get really crazy, especially on the holiday weekend. There may or may not be a lot of photographers lined up in "the spot" an hour before sunrise, but it is a possibility. The one year I did it, I staked a spot in front by getting there very early, and then a few people behind us were pulling out step ladders to shoot over the front row.

Be sure to leave a donation in the box for the owners, they put up with this craziness so they deserve something. And you can get nice images by wandering out into the field, there are plenty of views other than just straight down the road.

edmcguirk

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm

ctyanky wrote:Hi Loafer! I might see you there! Charles (ixl from forum) and I are going to go on Kelly Stand and hike Grout Pond Saturday or Sunday of next weekend. Have you been to Grout Pond? It's really nice. He has a cottage on Somerset and we are going to check on the progress he has made fixing it up. Have fun at Mt. Snow! Taking the Blue Bird Express to the summit for views of Somerset? Enjoy!

Keep an eye on the Quabbin for me? I hope to get there the weekend after Columbus Day! CT
ctyanky, if you are planning on visiting the Quabbin area later in October, be sure to check out the villages of Petersham and New Salem, they are like little slices of Vermont in Massachusetts. Stop by Harvard Pond in Petersham early in the morning for some wonderful views.

Texas_Aggie

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:47 pm

edmcguirk wrote:Be sure to leave a donation in the box for the owners, they put up with this craziness so they deserve something. And you can get nice images by wandering out into the field, there are plenty of views other than just straight down the road.
Will do!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Ed: Thank you for noting the villages and pond. I have a Mass Delorme and will highlight these areas. Can you believe I've never been to the Quabbin? It's practically at my doorstop! Everyone loves it there so I will make a day trip out of this. Thanks again, CT

Utah Baker

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:57 pm

Texas_Aggie, great picture, thanks for sharing. Just a thought, but if your willing to forgo the sunrise shot at Jene Farm, late afternoons can be nice too. I’ve have been there several times around abt 4pm and have had the place all to myself, which is an amazing experience in it’s self. Either way I hope you share what you capture with us.
85193C4B-5ECC-42F1-A722-979E78D000D5.jpeg
minn, I always love your wealth of information! Sounds like I need to check this drive out.

CT, both ideas sound doable, we’ll be in touch.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:55 am

Janice: just got back and saw your response. Let's connect during the beginning of the first week of October, watch the weather and coordinate! So excited to finally meet you! CT

Snookman2

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:27 pm

Thinking about making a last minute trip up from Florida. Dates would be 10/10-14. A little later than I would normally like, but is foliage running late this year? What do you guys think of those dates?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:02 am

Hi Snookman, nice to see you back on the forum! The foliage is a tad late but it is not more than a whole week late from what I am hearing, probably even less. The last 3 nights have been perfect for snapping the color into gear. I'm always cautious on saying "if the color is late" because it can change in a heartbeat. It is the 24th and Admin reported lots of green still in Waitsfield/Warren this past weekend despite the cold temps up there. That is just one indication. The color can come in fast however!

Minnesotaman will be up in a couple of days. He usually has excellent reports on the current conditions. I'm going up Friday but I'm in southern VT for a riding vacation so I don't expect any color except some nice change in the highlands on route 9.

I think you will be fine in southern VT (SW and SE) and the Champlain Valley. Perhaps even south central VT. I usually go into SE VT after Columbus Day and find great color! Barring wind and rain events, you will be fine. Lodging should be ok to find at this time and check Airbandb for great deals. Some inns even come down quite a bit!

Good luck! CT

edmcguirk

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:29 am

This morning (9/24), I had to turn the heat on in my home in Massachusetts for the first time this year. That has to bode well for the foliage starting to turn up in Vermont. The forecast for this week has a little more rain than I would like, but the temps look seasonable to cool, so it could come on quick.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi Ed: I had to laugh when I saw you that turned on the heat. I refuse to put the heat on yet! :mrgreen: But yes, the cold weather should move the color forward. I was a bit surprised when I woke up this morning, the transition came on so fast!

BTW, If you travel to the Quabbin at all after Columbus Day Weekend, let me know and I'll head that way too. It would be shortly after the holiday weekend because I go to Townshend VT for the annual fall festival which is later in October.

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 am

ctyanky wrote:Hi Ed: I had to laugh when I saw you that turned on the heat. I refuse to put the heat on yet! :mrgreen: But yes, the cold weather should move the color forward. I was a bit surprised when I woke up this morning, the transition came on so fast!

BTW, If you travel to the Quabbin at all after Columbus Day Weekend, let me know and I'll head that way too. It would be shortly after the holiday weekend because I go to Townshend VT for the annual fall festival which is later in October.
ctyanky I'd be happy to show you some of my favorite Quabbin spots. Right now I've booked lodging in St. Johnsbury from 10/3 thru 10/11, and Killington from 10/11 thru 10/13, so not sure if that works with your dates. I really want to get some good color in Vermont this year, so I hedged my bets by booking lodging over these dates, hoping I'd hit it somewhere in that range, no matter if foliage were early or late.

Fall color in the Quabbin area carries on later than in Vermont, so any date in the range of 10/14 to 10/20, would work for color, and I'll be around. If color goes early/normal in VT, I may cancel my Killington dates and come back to MA on 10/11. Lets discuss this later, if you think a week 3 October visit works for you.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:02 am

Fall color in the Quabbin area carries on later than in Vermont, so any date in the range of 10/14 to 10/20, would work for color, and I'll be around. If color goes early/normal in VT, I may cancel my Killington dates and come back to MA on 10/11. Lets discuss this later, if you think a week 3 October visit works for you.
Ed: Week 3 works for me. I'm flexible with time as I don't work anymore. I'll meet you up there. You mentioned a pond too, is it accessible or just a viewing site? We can connect later in your trip or just before depending on the weather. I hope the 3rd week will hold the color. I'm also available the weekend of the 13th if your VT dates change! Enjoy your vacation!!!!

edmcguirk

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 am

ctyanky, regarding Quabbin I am retired, and can be flexible on dates as well. The color in Central Mass will still be good in the 10/12 to 10/18 time range for sure, especially if it's running a bit late. If this cold snap jump starts the color in VT, I'll most likely cancel my Killington dates and be home by 10/11. But if not, then dates like 10/15, 10/16 or 10/17 would work well.

The pond is Harvard Pond in Petersham, it is both accessible and a great viewing destination. For some reason I cannot create a direct link to individual photos on my website but here are a couple links to shots of it taken by a photographer who lives near there. It can be very beautiful in the morning with fog.
http://www.patrickzephyrphoto.com/photo/harvard-pond/
http://www.patrickzephyrphoto.com/photo/pink-fog-pano/

There are 3 or 4 really pretty towns with village greens, 3 nice overlooks of the reservoir, and a few places where you can walk along the shore of the reservoir, if you are willing to walk 20 or 30 minutes.