Texas Aggie - Cloudland Road and loop, Pomfret

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Texas Aggie - Cloudland Road and loop, Pomfret

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Texas Aggie: I pulled your question on Cloudland Road out of another post so you don't get lost in the black hole of the forum post!

I have a great loop for you that Minnesotaman told me about and it is a fun and scenic drive. When you are at the top of Cloudland, turn right on Galaxy Hill Road and then another right onto Old Kings Highway. Continue on this road which becomes Bunker Hill Road (don't turn north on the Bunker Hill Road to Pomfret). Then take a right (south) on Joe Ranger Road. It will take you back into Quechee West Hartford Road, turn right at fork to Quechee Main Street and follow the Ottauquechee River to the Taftsville Covered Bridge!!! The take River Road back to Cloudland! I loved this loop!!!!

In the alternative, you can also take Galaxy Hill Road into Pomfret. Phil (pwt) took me into Pomfret this way for my first time and this area is divine.
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Texas_Aggie

Re: Texas Aggie - Cloudland Road and loop, Pomfret

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks for the suggestion! We might add a stop at Quechee Gorge in there as well!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:52 am

Hi Texas! Quechee Gorge is a real sight and you can hike down the trail as well. You are going to enjoy Cloudland Road. If it is something on your Vermont Wish List, then you should definitely go for it! I've been several times and loved it. I really hope you can do the loop. If you check google maps you can branch off into Quechee but do come back to River Road and see the new Taftsville Covered Bridge. Enjoy your trip and I am totally excited for you!!!!! On a scale of 1 - 10, I bet you are at the top already! CT

Texas_Aggie

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:36 pm

ctyanky wrote:On a scale of 1 - 10, I bet you are at the top already! CT
I leave for vermont 2 weeks from TODAY!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Perfect! Just perfect! I'm really happy for you and can tell you are at 9 on the scale of excitement and anticipation! The night before you will reach 10! :lol: (That's if you can sleep!)