Fall trip Planning and best bets

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bid

Re: Fall trip Planning and best bets

Postby bid » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Couple of questions,

1. Does anybody know location of this photo?
https://500px.com/photo/214625401/wonde ... y-tony-shi
2. Also, What are the best locations for early morning photos in Manchester, Lincoln and Warren?

mmvt

Postby mmvt » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:44 am

bid wrote:Couple of questions,

1. Does anybody know location of this photo?
https://500px.com/photo/214625401/wonde ... y-tony-shi
2. Also, What are the best locations for early morning photos in Manchester, Lincoln and Warren?
That image is Chittenden Reservoir taken from the parking area adjacent to Lefferts Pond. From the parking area you can view the southern end of Chittenden reservoir - then you can explore Lefferts Pond. The access road to Lefferts Pond is off of Wildcat Road (see google for specifics). Be careful driving down to the pond - the road is narrow and if you encounter vehicles leaving, you'll need to negotiate how one pulls to the side. It's a beautiful area with many photo opportunities!

abby

Postby abby » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:18 am

Chittenden Reservior and Leffert's Pond are both beautiful places to shoot in the morning. As for your other question, here are some morning locations for you in the Warren area:
Early morning go to Bragg Hill Road in Waitsfield. Amazing views not to be missed. From there, go to Common Road in Waitsfield. Again, wonderful views.
Approx 4 miles South of Warren on Rte 100, there is a cutoff where the Mad River flows. There are a series of cascades, a beautiful spot which was first introduced to me by fellow board member Andy. As you are traveling along Rte 100, look for a cut off with some picnic tables approx 4 miles south of Warren.
Take the Appalacian Gap out of Waitsfield from Rte 100 to Rte 17, which is the App Gap Road. There is a pullout near the top which provides a beautiful view. Then use your gps and make your way to Browns Road and West Hill Road in Lincoln to the Brown Roads Barn where there is sweeping views.
Carol (abby)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Postby ctyanky » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:01 am

bid: Drive up Plunkton Road to Fuller Hill Road and turn left. The views at the top of Fuller Hill Road are like being on top of the world. The long views are outstanding! Fuller Hill will take you back to Warren. Don't forget to stop at Blueberry Lake (afternoon shot). It is an amazing place for photography! I'll be taking these roads myself first week of October when I am staying in Warren.

You'll be in the area and it is not to be missed! CT

bid

Postby bid » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks again.
Given the current progress of the colors - do you guys think there would be peak colors in White Mountains/Mt Washington 9th thru 11th or is it a better idea to go to Lake Willoughby instead?
If Lake Willoughby has better colors - apart from 5A what are the other roads / viewpoints I should plan for?

Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:35 pm

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum regarding the eBook. There are links in one of the posts a few posts down, to Amazon, Apple and Barnes & Noble
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

abby

Postby abby » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:56 pm

bid wrote:Thanks again.
Given the current progress of the colors - do you guys think there would be peak colors in White Mountains/Mt Washington 9th thru 11th or is it a better idea to go to Lake Willoughby instead?
If Lake Willoughby has better colors - apart from 5A what are the other roads / viewpoints I should plan for?
Hi bid. Tough call for those dates. It may be past peak in the White Mountains and most of the NEK. If you asked the same question next week, I'd be able to give a more confident answer. The coming few days into the upcoming weekend should give us a better idea as to what to expect. There should still be some decent late color, providing we don't get hit with heavy rain and wind. Here's some late color photos I took in NH on Oct 15th of 2016. Not peak, but not horrible. 2016 was running about a week behind that year. https://carolsmith.zenfolio.com/p470784301

Lake Willoughby typically peaks a little later than the surrounding area so you *should* find decent color at the Lake itself, but again, I can't say for certain how the surrounding area will be on those dates. Next week could have more confidence. I'm going to head up to that area of the NEK to check out the early colors later this week. I'll let you know my thoughts over the weekend.
Carol

bid

Postby bid » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks Carol. I was under the impression that colors are behind by around 4/5 days this year. My friend was up in Mt Washington 2 days back and it was all green
Which area peaks early - White Mountains/Mt Washington, NH or Green Mountains/Manchester,VT? - Give or take almost at the same time right? since one is in NorthWest and other in SouthEast?
Thanks!

abby

Postby abby » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:24 pm

bid wrote:Thanks Carol. I was under the impression that colors are behind by around 4/5 days this year. My friend was up in Mt Washington 2 days back and it was all green
Which area peaks early - White Mountains/Mt Washington, NH or Green Mountains/Manchester,VT? - Give or take almost at the same time right? since one is in NorthWest and other in SouthEast?
Thanks!
Hi bid. You're right. Colors are behind this year by at least 5 days from what I hear as well. I think that The White Mountains tend to peak about the same time as the NEK of VT. The color being behind does bode well for your dates of Oct 9-11. I still think both places *may* be past peak, but maybe not by much the more I think about it.....but I also think both places should have some decent color to be found, barring any heavy rain/wind storms. I'm not confident in the Manchester VT area that you asked about.......but I would think the White Mountains would peak sooner than the Manchester VT area. The White Mountains are at a higher elevation and further North than Manchester VT. Again, just an assumption and guess on my part, but someone with more knowledge of the area than me may come along.
Carol (abby)

abby

Postby abby » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:44 am

Hi bid,
I hope you see this post. I was p in the NEK, and also passed through Franconia Notch NH the past couple of days. I can give you a much better answer to your question regarding Oct 9th-11th......Lake Willoughby or The White Mountains? In my opinion, I would suggest the White Mountains for those dates. The colors in that area of NH are further behind the colors in the NEK this year. I think you will be very happy in the White Mountains on those dates. Have a wonderful trip and please keep in touch and let us know how things went.
Carol

bid

Postby bid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi Carol, thanks a lot. I am super excelited. For on what I have been reading, my timing would be perfect; 7-9 th in Green Mountains and 9-11th in White mountains. I got my camera gear ready today. Will definitely share the pics and experience with you guys.

bid

Postby bid » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:33 pm

Hi Carol, thanks a lot. I am super excelited. For on what I have been reading, my timing would be perfect; 7-9 th in Green Mountains and 9-11th in White mountains. I got my camera gear ready today. Will definitely share the pics and experience with you guys.