2018 Full Harvest Moon - Will you be in Vermont?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

2018 Full Harvest Moon - Will you be in Vermont?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 am

For any of you full harvest moon lovers, (and those who know me, know I am obsessed with the full harvest moon!) this year's date is September 25th, 2018. Unfortunately, the 25th is a few days before I head up to Vermont for foliage season, so I will have to enjoy it in my own state. In the past, I've been fortunate to see it rise over the mountains from the porch at my inn in Waitsfield and it was a blessing. So nostalgic to be in Vermont to watch it appear! Hope the weather cooperates and some of the locals can post their shots!

The Harvest Moon of September is sometimes referred to as the Corn Moon or the Barley Moon.The Harvest Moon does not always occur in September. Traditionally, the name goes to the full moon closest to the autumn equinox, which falls during October once or twice a decade.

Just another tidbit about the harvest moon:

What is a Harvest Moon? The full moon that appears in September is called the Harvest Moon. The most familiar named moon, September’s Harvest Moon refers to the time of year after the autumn equinox when crops were gathered by Native Americans. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice are the chief Native American staples that were ready for gathering. It also refers to the Harvest Moon’s particularly bright appearance and early rise, which lets farmers continue harvesting into the night. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe.
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot