Exhilarating Day in VT Chasing the Sugarhouse Trail! I'm swimming in all things maple syrup!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Exhilarating Day in VT Chasing the Sugarhouse Trail! I'm swimming in all things maple syrup!

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Hello everyone! A totally amazing day in Southern Vermont at Whitingham's Maple Festival Weekend! OMG it was the best day ever! Despite it being 3 degrees early this morning up there, with a high of low 20s by mid day, it was a picture perfect setting for their sugaring weekend. We left CT at 8:30 and got to Jacksonville/Whitingham around 10:30 and wow, 1 1/2 feet of glistening white snow and deep, deep blue skies abound! We went to the craft fair they had and then went on the sleigh ride up through the fields with two perfect Belgians. I took so many videos and photos it was the absolute best part of my day! All bundled up and sitting on the hay bales with such a wonderful driver. I'll never forget this moment! Blissful!!!!!

Then we hit five of the seven host sugarhouses, large and small. State of the art and small family run with the best maple syrup ever! I came home with four jugs of all sizes! I had quite a sugar buzz from all the samples. The owners were such great hosts, so eager to share the history of their operations and their products. We went to Corse, Sprague and Sons, Dix, Stevens and Bemis sugarhouses on the open house trail. Morse and Twitchell were not sugaring this time but if they were open, we would have been there! :wink: Because of the very cold temperatures, we barely hit any of the slippery, gooey, slushy mud so that was a bonus. The roads were in great shape but I think it may change very quickly again, very soon! :lol: Surprisingly, most of the sugarhouses were boiling and oh that intoxicating smell of maple syrup was just everywhere!

I had my first sugar on snow today and it was so yummy! I enjoyed the little pickle and maple donut they placed on the bowl and devoured it in no time. :mrgreen:

Besides my sugar on snow, I had a tasting of every grade of syrup from each of the sugarhouses, a maple shake, maple ice cream, maple nuts, maple cookies, maple cream and more! :shock:

Folks, it's not too late to get up to Vermont as next weekend is the state wide open house for sugaring! (See previous post). You must go! Not to be missed! It is such a wonderful time of year and I met sooooooooo many interesting people running the tours. Lots of snow and photo ops galore! Everyone was in such great moods and so happy everywhere we went. Vermont at it's best!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, this is the life! 8) Thank you VERMONT!!!!!

P.S. I think my craving for all things maple has finally been satisfied....... :|
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot