Off Topic- Storm

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Off Topic- Storm

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:48 pm

Hope all our local forum members are doing well in this lastest storm. The pictures of flooding and road damage is certainly sobering. The Ammonosic was almost to the top of the bridge on School street in Lisbon when my daughter picked up kids today. Scarey stuff, be wise, and stay safe.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Off Topic- Storm

Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Janice: thanks for the kind thoughts. We here in CT got a TON of rain again. The winds picked up about 10 p.m. and I awoke at 1 a.m. to quite a howling outside. The shoreline got hit the worst with mega power outages. A lot of trees down because they were fully leafed out and soggy! But surprisingly, not as many leaves down in my area as I would have thought. Many trees are still green and robust! I fared well, just some twigs and branches in the back but some parts of the area had large trees uprooted. It pays to take care of your trees with yearly pruning and TLC, so you can avoid some of the "fall out" so to speak during wind storms, ice storms, etc. Downed trees can be avoided with regular pre-storm tree management. This event also happened on the anniversary of the 2011 October storm where we had snow on full canopies of trees across the state and into Mass. and we lost power for 12 days! It was a nightmare! So I was a bit fearful that we would lose power sans snow fall! Very thankful that it was not worse but I feel for the folks along the CT shoreline............

Crazy weather indeed. It does feel like fall finally with cool temps and geese flying over head and Halloween frenzy in the air! 8) CT

loafer89

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Here in Enfield we came through the storm without losing power as about 60% of our trees are already bare. Not much damage here or flooding even after 10" of rain in one week. Foliage around here is done for the year.

From_the_NEK

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm

A lot of downed trees here in the NEK, mostly softwoods and poplar from what I've seen. I was lucky that the power was out in my neighborhood for less than 12 hrs. Some areas were out for 5-6 days.

hannahbourkinson

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:43 am

From_the_NEK wrote:A lot of downed trees here in the NEK, mostly softwoods and poplar from what I've seen. I was lucky that the power was out in my neighborhood for less than 12 hrs. Some areas were out for 5-6 days.
Can confirm - my parents were cut out from water and power for almost 5 days. It's the first time such drastic storm encountered the area.