Connecticut Foliage October 2017

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Connecticut Foliage October 2017

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Oddly enough, in my surrounding area, we have huge expanses of green trees left where it still looks like summer, trees that are just about to burst into color, trees peaking with oranges and reds, and about 25% bare or becoming bare trees. This is the longest season I have ever encountered! Not complaining, however, I do have some concerns. With winter arriving with an occasional early snowfall and fully leafed out trees, I do not ever want to experience the 2011 October snow storm again with that 12 day power outage! I'm still enjoying a colorful autumn here but will be keeping an eye on the forecast for the next two weeks. I'm hoping by Thanksgiving we are in stick season because snow is just around the corner. :?

The colors that are emerging are beautiful! We seemed to have been spared the enormous leaf drop that others in parts of CT have experienced. My Norwegian maples in my back yard are still deep green and I suppose I will be raking into December! :mrgreen:

Utah Baker

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 am

I’m not a big fan of wind. When the south wind blows here it howls all night, makes me anxious and disrupts my sleep. Two days ago my yard was ankle deep in leaves in every direction and I knew this weekend it would be me and the rake. Then due to an approaching storm the south winds began, two straight days of it. This morning I awoke and my lawn and gutters are clear! Oh there is still a pile up around the flower beds and bushes, but not bad. Maybe Mr. Wind isn’t all bad, my back thanks you! And maybe if your lucky he’ll send you leaves packing too!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Hi Janice: no wind in sight for the entire week and now I'm getting a tad nervous with this "system" coming in Sunday night on the heels of a VERY cold set up for the next five days! 30s for a high on Friday and Saturday with teens over the weekend at night. Time to get the fleece and winter accessories lined up and the ice scrapers in the car!

I kind of hope the leaves start their descent very soon! :|