Southern Vermont Report

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

edmcguirk

Southern Vermont Report

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:06 pm

I took a drive this morning 10/12/17 to photograph sunrise at the Hogback Overlook. The foliage at the overlook and the view south was in decent shape, and is at peak. That proved to be the exception. I drove west on Rt. 9 to Wilmington and the Harriman Reservoir. The color was mostly past peak in that area, with many fully or partially bare trees. The water level in the reservoir was very low, and unattractive. As I drove east from Hogback back home, the Connecticut River valley around Brattleboro and Vernon was suffering from the green/brown/bare malaise, and the trees that had turned were not vibrant at all. The wind today was taking down a lot of leaves, and in fact a lot trees that were still green were losing leaves to the wind as well.

The view south from the Hogback overlook was still very nice, but my guess is that that it may only have a few more days there before it goes past peak.

bobbav

Re: Southern Vermont Report

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Bummer, as I will be heading to Arlington tomorrow. And to top it off, what looked like a great weekend weather wise (the rain was pushing out each day), now today shows solid rain for both Saturday and Sunday. EVERY OTHER DAY before and after is cloudless :(
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

edmcguirk

Re: Southern Vermont Report

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

I didn't make it further west on Rt. 9 than the Harriman Reservoir, so I can't speak to the Bennington / Arlington area.

Wilmington was definitely past peak today (10/12). The area around Brattleboro was mostly green, with some muted/brownish color.

This is definitely a strange foliage year. But there are pockets of good color, such as the Hogback overlook. I'm reaching the conclusion that you just have to work harder this year to find those good pockets.