Dead Creek Wildlife Day -Addison VT - tomorrow, 10/7

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Dead Creek Wildlife Day -Addison VT - tomorrow, 10/7

Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 pm

https://www.addisonindependent.com/2017 ... -set-oct-7

This festival is one that I have always wanted to go to and here I am staying in Middlebury nearby! I'm so excited to go here, I have to squeeze this activity in no matter what!!!!! The festival is hosted by the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation, and Otter Creek Audubon Society. For more information and a schedule of events, visit Vermont Fish & Wildlife’s website vtfishandwildlife.com and check under Watch Wildlife. (I posted it below). This is not just for the kiddos, it has nature walks and all things related to wildlife, conservation, etc etc etc......

Have you ever seen the snow geese at Dead Creek towards the end of October? It is the most incredible sight ever!

Where is Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area? Dead Creek WMA is located on VT Rte. 17 about one mile west of the junction of Rte. 22A and Rte. 17 in Addison, Vermont. For more information call (802) 759-2398.

Here is the amazing schedule:

http://vtfishandwildlife.com/UserFiles/ ... hedule.pdf

Here is the link for the new visitor center:

http://vtfishandwildlife.com/watch_wild ... or_center/
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Dead Creek Wildlife Day -Addison VT - tomorrow, 10/7

Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Well, I did manage to squeeze Dead Creek Wildlife Day in but not 'till the very end unfortunately.... :roll: I became one with the foliage crazies today and spent most of the day chasing color which I will separate post for! Anyhow, the drive from Middlebury on route 23 (Weybridge Road) was divine, and winds around rich farmland and lovely farms until it reaches route 17 West. That was beautiful in itself! When I crossed over 22A I started to head into Dead Creek. It is very flat around here but the new visitor's center, WOW!!!!! They just opened last week and they did quite an amazing job with lots of visuals. I took a lot of pics inside to remember all the photos and explanations of what they do in the preserve areas and how our current climate affects the wildlife, vegetation and migration of species. So fascinating! Sad photos of the devastation of ticks on the state moose population. I missed all the incredible activities while leaf peeping, but will put this on my list once again to come to next year, as I plan on returning to the area again. I drove back to where all the tents were and it looked like they were quite a success. The ranger at the visitor's center said 500 people showed up at once time to experience their wildlife day and I can see why. I drove down to all the viewing fields imagining how awesome it is going to be when the snow geese appear towards the end of the month. The new visitor's center has a full window so viewing from inside will be available in inclement weather.

On the way home, I could see hints of color coming on but it is basically green everywhere. There will be a lot of great color coming to this area in the coming weeks. It was beautiful driving along 17 east and 23. I didn't have time to stop in the Addison Country Store but it looked very cute!

Don't forget about this area if you are out driving. It is really special! CT