Mother Nature Has Turned On the Switch to Color Mode! Go here!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mother Nature Has Turned On the Switch to Color Mode! Go here!

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Ok, something special must have occurred last night, maybe a stern conversation between Mother Nature and the Foliage Gods :!: On my way to the Peacham Fall Festival, Route 2 east from Onion Mountain Campground in Plainfield, all through Marshfield, past the 215 and 232 cutoffs and on to Mack Mountain Road where I turned for the festival!!!! Reds galore popping out on the ridges on the right side of the road, the ridges are peaking and many areas just about to reach peak! The mountain side is awash with amazing color - just gorgeous! I could hardly keep my eyes on the road I was so glued to the colors! This area is a must for this weekend and perhaps beyond, barring wind and rain. Coming back from the festival the other side was starting to emerge as well with beautiful high color.

They don't call it Marshfield for nothing! This is a more wet area and I can see why this is vibrant and glowing right now! When I got past Plainfield on my way home it turned green and somewhat dull again.

I would go this weekend to Marshfield on route 2. I didn't get up to Danville so not sure what is happening there. What a "bright" spot in this week's travels for sure! :D :D :D

More on the Peacham Fall Festival (fabulous) and Mack Mountain Road later! Gotta get ready for the inn dinner on the porch to watch the moonrise once again. :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

triz

Re: Mother Nature Has Turned On the Switch to Color Mode! Go here!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:57 am

Hey ctyanky thanks for all of your updates!
Do you think this area will look as good next weekend (12-15)?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:31 am

OMG! Route 100 from Warren to Hancock has opened up with peak colors, reds, orange, gold and a cherry color! Granville Gulf spectacular! Im in my car on 125 at Breadloaf Writers College and the mid elevations are almost peak. Behind Breadloaf is gorgeous! The trees needed this thirst quenching rain! They were so thirsty!!!! The colors have burst open. Forgive any spelling errors, in my car on phone. Waitsfield is nearing peak in the Mad River Valley. More later!!!!!

From_the_NEK

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:34 am

I'm going to have to let Denzel handle this one...

Color is exploding all over. True it isn't ridiculously good like last year but, IMHO, it has tipped the scale toward average here in the Lyndonville area. Everything that was still green is turning at the same time. This weekend and into next week should be peak around here. Come and get it!

From this morning from Lyndonville:
ImageTree on the Hill by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageBarn Peaking Out by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageHaying is Done by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Utah Baker

Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 pm

NEK, so happy to see these!!! I'll be in Lyndonville on Sunday. Yay!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:43 pm

triz: I think the Marshfield area (route 2) should hold until the beginning of next week, "maybe" up to mid-week. I can't predict a whole week out though! Sorry...... I have not had any time to check the weather and don't know if we are getting any rain/wind..... You'll find color somewhere I'm sure! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Hello, I forgot to mention that the relative of the owner of the Ripton Store also confirmed that the colors popped out overnight. She arrived a few days ago to green on the Middlebury Gap and the color burst happened right after the showers came through. What a nice conversation we had, everyone has been so friendly!!!!! After I left the store, I was about to take a photo and an older gent from the Lincoln Ripton Road who was hauling wood in his trailer came over to me. He kindly said, "I'll take your picture if you want in front of the store". Well, I ended up giving him a little lesson on using a smart phone after a few random (non) shots. It was so fun!!! We had such a nice conversation about where I was from, where I came from in VT and where I was headed. I think this was the first time he ever used a smart phone. It came out a little blurry but it is a sweet memory for me nonetheless...... I swear, I'm meeting the most wonderful local folks on this trip and I'm having the time of my life here!

P.S. I wish I had time to do the Robert Frost Interpretive Trail again, it's awesome! His poems are scattered about the trail and it is so peaceful there. I highly recommend it not just for the beauty of the trail but if you enjoy Robert Frost you will find this place full of solitude! Just a reminder, there is a short dirt road off the Midd Gap to Robert Frost's Cabin and I think is Frost Road. I've been 3 or 4 times and it is beautiful each visit. Homer Noble Farm is just below his cabin.....

As I headed down from Ripton Village it became green again. Oh well! I'm probably going back up tomorrow to see how the ridge behind Breadloaf is shaping up! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:30 am

Has anyone been to the Appalachian Gap overlook since the foliage popped? I'm thinking of leaving after breakfast to go up the Middlebury Gap (125 -again), to Blueberry Lake in Warren and to Common Road in Waitsfield to revisit some places I missed before coming to Middlebury. :)