U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Silvio O. Conte Nulhegan Basin Division Office & Visitor Contact Station

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Silvio O. Conte Nulhegan Basin Division Office & Visitor Contact Station

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:02 am

Hello! I was so impressed with this visitor's center that I had to comment about it. I had not been here yet and inside, well it is quite impressive!!! It is located on route 105 before Phil and I headed to Lewis Pond and Lewis Pond Overlook. There were so many informative brochures and user friendly interactive displays about the Nulhegan Basin and the Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge. The wall posters were incredibly beautiful, colorful and large and fascinating! There was a small room with a video set up for viewing about wildlife centers in the US. This place is state of the art! The welcome room has a gorgeous stone fireplace with all things wildlife scattered about. The open air deck in back has wood stacked high and when I commented to the ranger how nice the fireplace looked he said well, it gets 20 below up here!

Honestly, this setting is worth a stop in itself. I think I got every brochure and pamphlet available on the Nulhegan Basin and I can't wait to read everything! If you are wondering who Silvio O. Conte was here is the answer:

Silvio O. Conte was an avid sportsman and environmentalist who represented Massachusetts in Congress for 32 years. To ensure the protection of the Connecticut River watershed, he introduced federal legislation establishing the refuge that now bears his name.

The Silvio O. Conte National Fish & Wildlife Refuge has units in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. There is one in CT that I also intend to visit!

I leave you with this quote which I love that was on one of the displays there:

"Wild beasts and birds are by right not the property merely of the people today, but the property of the unborn generations, whose belongings we have no right to squander."

Theodore Roosevelt

Like I said before, I missed my calling. I wish I had majored in Forestry and Wildlife Conservation and had the opportunity to pursue my current passion in this field! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot