Lyndonville area 10/3

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

From_the_NEK

Lyndonville area 10/3

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 am

Took a quick drive around the hill this morning. Sorry to report more of the same. Still lots of green along some field edges, and lower stories of the forest. Colors that are around are very muted. Most sugarbushes in this area are completely gone by (aided by maple leaf cutters). After 3 frosty nights in a row, this coming weekend will probably be this year's "peak" but it is going to be way below average. This year is reminding me of one back in the mid-00's when we didn't have a frost until the second week of October. It was really warm and dry leading up through late September and all of the leaves dried up and fell off. :(

He are some photos from this morning:

One of my favorite spots looking pretty weak -
ImageBLECH by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

The biggest group of decent trees I found -
ImageMost Exciting color by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Pretty Bland but it has potential -
ImageBland Foliage by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Beware those that try to pass this off as what you will see (same image as above but HIGHLY modified). -
ImageOVERSATURATED by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Example of a leaf cutter damaged sugarbush -
ImageGone By by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

At least it is still a pretty place to drive around, even if the color isn't spectacular this year. Get out in the morning when there is a little fog still in the valleys to get some creative shots.
ImageMisty Morning View 2 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

PhotoOp

Re: Lyndonville area 10/3

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the report Tim! Still patiently waiting.

Jack

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:50 pm

Hi Tim: this reflects our views today up through your area to Island Pond and beyond on the way to the Lewis Pond Overlook. We did stop at Miss Lyndonville's Diner at the end of the day for a tasty dinner. Hardly anyone there and the service was so fast. Thanks for the honest description of what the foliage is like. It confirms what we saw as well. CT

Andy

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 am

This year reminds me of 2005. No foliage that year. Very warm through mid-October and then rain and wind to take the leaves down. I guess if we only get that every 12 years, we can live with it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

triz

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:45 am

This year will be our first foliage trip in VT, and it is so disappointing to hear this ...