Equinox Preservation Trust: Hike Today, Phenomenal but Exhausting!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Equinox Preservation Trust: Hike Today, Phenomenal but Exhausting!!!

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:57 pm

http://www.equinoxpreservationtrust.org/mapdown.php

All I can say is wow, what a spectacular hiking area! This is a must do hike because there are hiking trails for every level imaginable and it is in the deep forest, the paths are incredibly well-maintained and the signage poles are well marked, especially at intersections where 2 and maybe 3 colored trail markers meet. Some are flat and some are well, steep. And to get to Robin's Lookout was worth my exertion. A steep and I did not think brief at all, climb to one spectacular long view that will be the spot to be when foliage is at peak.

How we got lost at the intersection I will never know but we took a wrong turn and added another 45 minutes to our hike which left me pretty wiped out since we had to walk up a long road from the black gate to the red gate. I was getting a little nervous as it was approaching dusk! My friend is a very experienced hiker, so how we got turned around I still can't figure out. As long as we were heading downhill I felt somewhat relieved! I need to mull over the trail map I provided above and see what our mistake was! Below are the many hikes I extrapolated from the trust map so you can see the many ways to enjoy this Equinox hike. It is remarkable. I just loved being in the woods for 3 hours! Not many people around, I would never do this alone obviously. I hope you get to hike here someday, it is divine!!! I know I will come back here and try some of these other trails!!!!

ROBIN’S LOOKOUT—0.4 km (0.30 mi.)—blazed green and black —A steep, but brief climb leads to Robin’s Lookout, a perfect picnicking spot. From here, there are spectacular views of Equinox Pond, the Battenkill Valley and the Green Mountains to the east. Allowed uses: hiking only.

THE TRAILS!!!!

POND LOOP—1.2 km (0.75 mi.)—Easy loop through beautiful hardwoods around Equinox Pond on a level woods road. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking, horseback riding, snowmobiling (owner supervised).

RED GATE TRAIL—1.3 km (0.80 mi.)—Cross over trail between the Red Gate and Equinox Pond Loop on rolling woods roads. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking, horseback riding, snowmobiling (owner supervised).

TRILLIUM TRAIL—1 km (1.25 mi.)—A connector trail off the Pond Loop to the Southern Vermont Art Center Loop through gently winding woods roads Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking, snowmobiling (owner supervised).

SOUTHERN VERMONT ART CENTER LOOP,—3.6 km (1.00 mi.)—This trail follows rolling woods roads to the lands of the Southern Vermont Art Center. The trail contains a mini loop through attractive hardwoods. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking.

Maiden Hair Fern
MAIDENHAIR TRAIL—2.5 km (1.00 mi.)—Beginning from the Trillium Trail and crossing the Blue Trail, this trail follows a gently sloping woods road. The trail then crosses a ravine and goes up a steep slope. At this point, the trail descends eastward to join the trail network of the lower slopes. Allowed uses: hiking only.

WILD LEEKS CUT OFF—This short trail cuts across the Southern Vermont Art Center Loop. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking.

SOUTHERN VERMONT ART CENTER TRAIL—0.3 km (0.2 mi.)—An intermediate trail off the Southern Vermont Art Center Loop. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking.

MOUNTAIN BLUFF TRAIL—2.9 km (1.8 mi.)—With steep ascents and descents, this is a challenging trail. The trail travels up slope to an elevation of 1580 feet, then runs pleasantly along the contour by a series of woods roads before descending to the south and joining the Pond Loop. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and mountain biking as permitted by The Nature Conservancy. Note: Except for the short trail segment below the junction with the Trillium Trail, skiing and mountain biking are permitted only in the counterclockwise direction. Do not ski the trail under icy conditions.

The Snicket
THE SNICKET—(an English word for narrow, winding path)—0.5 km (.35 mi.)—a relatively flat, winding trail. The Snicket is a lovely walk or ski through mature forests that were farm fields a century ago. Look for the stonewalls—evidence of a time when the land was cleared for farming. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing.

ASPEN TRAIL—.13 km (.10 mi.)—Shortcut connecting the Trillium Trail with the Red Gate Trail through a disturbed area that will someday mature into a magnificent stand of Aspen. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking.

FLATLANDERS PASS—0.8 km (0.5 mi.)—a wide, flat and easy trail that hugs the 1200’ contour line from the Red Gate to the Black Gate. Allowed uses: hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, mountain biking, horseback riding, snowmobiling (owner supervised).

ROBIN’S LOOKOUT—0.4 km (0.30 mi.)—blazed green and black —A steep, but brief climb leads to Robin’s Lookout, a perfect picnicking spot. From here, there are spectacular views of Equinox Pond, the Battenkill Valley and the Green Mountains to the east. Allowed uses: hiking only.

TROUT LILY TRAIL—1 km (0.62 mi.)—blazed purple and white—The trail begins on a gently winding woods road. After the Bower Spring, the trail narrows to a foot path and ascends steeply with quick hairpin turns through lovely hardwoods to meet the Mountain Bluff Trail. Allowed uses: hiking only.

BLUE SUMMIT TRAIL—4.5 km (3.1 mi.)—(commonly known as The Burr and Burton Trail—blazed blue)—From the Red Gate, this trail ascends for a long distance on a rather steep woods road to the Upper Spring, then becomes a narrow hiking trail, ascending steadily through high elevation forests, and eventually reaching the Red/Yellow trail which leads to Lookout Rock. From Lookout Rock, there are excellent northerly and easterly views of the Manchester Valley, White Mountains, Mount Ascutney and Mount Monadnock. Allowed uses: hiking on the entire trail, plus cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and mountain biking BELOW THE TRILLIUM TRAIL ONLY. Horseback riding is permitted only up to the point where the Red Gate trail departs to the left (south).
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot