Dorset: Dorset Quarry, Dorset Hollow and Hollow Loop

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Dorset: Dorset Quarry, Dorset Hollow and Hollow Loop

Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello again! Another fun-filled day in Manchester and Dorset! Due to the unexpected showers that entered the state and continued until 1:00, we had to cancel our zip line/lift ride at Bromley, but were able to check off quite a few events on the itin!

My friend came from Burlington at 10:30 and off we went to the Manchester Fall Craft Fair in Riley Rink on 7A. A great thing to do in the rain and so many talented, juried crafters. We didn't stay too long as Cilantro Mexican lunch was a callin' and it was delicious! If you are in Manchester, this is a great place to eat! From there we headed to Dorset, one of my favorite quintessential Vermont towns and stopped at the Dorset Quarry. The water was still and all the reflections from the quarry made for a great photo op! Such a true gem for Dorset, it is a must see!

Here is the loop in Dorset that you must take, in about a week, due to the frost advisory tonight, things should be coming into high color in this amazing back road (dirt) loop! In town, take the Dorset Hollow Road off route 30 into Upper Hollow Road. It loops you all around to Lower Hollow Road with beautiful barns, rolling hills, mountain views, etc. Simply gorgeous!!!! It was still green but an awesome backroad tour indeed. I know Nichols Hill Road is supposed to be beautiful but we ran out of time because I wanted to reach Equinox Valley Nursery before they closed at 5:00. Another post to follow....

Yes, it is still mostly green here in Manchester but color is appearing uniformly on the mountains. I would say Columbus Day Weekend here and perhaps a few days after should be almost peak! Love it here! I am truly glad I made the effort to try a different location and the people are so friendly and helpful. Not much traffic yet and the backroads are fantastic.

I will leave here in the morning to the Dorset Farmers Market and then head over to Waitsfield for my next adventure. Hoping to make the single chair lift at Mad River Glen by 2:00 before they close the lift. I'm anxious to see how route 100 is shaping up from Londonderry all the way up to Waitsfield!

Another awesome day, #2, in Vermont! :D :D :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

bobbav

Re: Dorset: Dorset Quarry, Dorset Hollow and Hollow Loop

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:14 am

I swan in the Dorset Quarry two years ago. Invigorating experience! The water even 'tasted' as clean as it appears.

I swam across and climbed one of the marble 'platforms' and jumped. Looks a lot higher when you are standing on top!
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Dorset: Dorset Quarry, Dorset Hollow and Hollow Loop

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Hi Bob! Sorry, just saw your response! Hope you got up here, the water looked soooo cold in the quarry! The loop should be prime viewing right now. Love that town! 8)