So Mother Nature Has Thrown Us A Curve Ball...

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Re: So Mother Nature Has Thrown Us A Curve Ball...

Postby Utah Baker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks to all for the updates and info. I think things will turn out grand. The high here today a crisp 49 degrees, sending it your way for next weekend! :wink:

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 am

Hi Janice! The cold shot comes with my arrival into Vermont! Yay! Actually, the mornings are surprisingly cool and delightful here. 90's coming for the next two days after 88 yesterday, but truthfully, I am enjoying the weather by getting a lot of things done around the house and yard in preparation for the trip. It's so beautiful outside and with low humidity, it is not too bad. Trying to enjoy the weather knowing winter is not far behind. At least I won't be horseback riding or hiking in Vermont in the heat! :D

See you soon! CT

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:53 am

Just checked the weather (again) (ugh obsessive :roll: ) and the lows will be in the 30's beginning Friday morning for a LONG stretch! Rejoice! :D

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:01 am

I went on a ride up around the NEK early this week. Colors on Rt 100 from Hyde Park to Lowell were early but nice. The stressed out trees had bright color.
I drove from Lowell to Lake Willoughby and then down to Lyndonville. Color change was just starting.
I then took the South Wheelock/Stannard Mountain Road to Greensboro. Colors were early in the lowlands, but the colors on top of the mountain were great.
From what I saw, I would not change any plans.
As to the brown leafs, there are some types of trees ( I call them junk trees ) whose leaves just turn brown and drop. These are NOT the maple trees with the bright red and orange leaves.

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Phil! Thanks for the report! Early seems to be the theme of the week! See you in 10 days at 9:30 at my inn! So excited! I even got the foodie/snack goodie bag for you ready. :D

The color will come, we just have to be patient. If it comes all it once, that would be a bonus for everyone! It was 92 here today but I didn't think it was all that humid so I was outside most of the day. Very unusual for this time in September, but once it gets cold, it's going to stay. My mums totally wimped out today. So strange seeing pumpkins and Halloween stuff out when it is so freakin' hot! :mrgreen:

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:20 pm

There were a lot of geese flying around tonight. They must think they have arrived down south already... :? the heat wave continues............. :x

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:33 am

Tent caterpillar damage has been spotty in Lamoille County. Elmore Mountain on the Morrisville side took a hit, but the Elmore side was untouched. I drove route 12 from Montpelier to Morrisville on Sunday. The colors were still early but widespread.
I haven't been able to get out much because my 97 year old mother had a bad spell in June. She has bounced back and today my brother and I are taking her out for a big ride in the NEK. I'll have a report for you foliage fanatics later. :D

courtmel

Postby courtmel » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:31 am

Happy as always to read your posts PWT. You are a very good son.
autumn leaf

courtmel

autumn leaf

courtmel

autumn leaf

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Nice to hear from you Ohil. Glad to hear your mom is doing better!
Carol

minnesotaman

Postby minnesotaman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Today I repeated the route I took a week ago, from Woodstock up to Wells River, to Lincoln NH, out the Kanc, around Bear Notch through Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch, west into Vermont and then south through Vermont, generally within 10 miles of 91, back to Woodstock. There was not much change from a week ago. Still relatively little color in most places, with foliage looking a bit cooked. Trees that had changed some were losing foliage, especially as the wind increased during the day. But in almost all areas most of the trees, generally over half, are still green, so, one hopes, the onset of cool weather will restart the process in those trees.

Some specific areas: the upper and western Kanc is in a few spots more than 50% changed, and looks like it will ripen fully within five to six days, assuming no significant wind. The eastern Kanc is still pretty green. Beaver Pond is just starting to turn--the typical yellow striations across the mountain are just beginning to show; again, assuming favorable weather, this place looks to be about five to eight days to peak; most leaves are intact. Vermont areas on my path were all still mostly green, some yellow, but the yellows appear to have been well cooked by the heat. I spent a bit more time in the Barnet area; it is still quite green. Killington area is early with some color beginning to show, but the foliage looks healthy. My area, Woodstock/Pomfret, remains mostly green, but also has pockets in which trees are prematurely leafless, a combination of whatever is affecting them, and the heat, I suspect.

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Thanks for the detailed report Minnesota Man. Looking at the forecast, it has all the ingredients needed to kick the colors along. Sunny days and cool chilly nights for a week straight. I'm thinking it might be sooner than later that we see the early colors changing. I know that in past seasons with weather like this the colors have come on rapidly. That could be the case over the next few days. Time will tell........
Carol

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Minnesotaman: good thorough report. So we are in a holding pattern. Mother Nature may surprise us. I had a talk with her today to speak directly with the Foliage Gods (she already had a stern talking with the Weather Gods as we can see with the cool weather arriving).

See you Monday for our road scramble and luncheon! :D

loafer89

Postby loafer89 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:47 am

The heatwave really cooked the foliage and it honestly just looks confused by the extreme temperature change over the last week. Local opinion (in the Mt Snow area) is that there will not be a last minute miracle on trees, but just a leaf loss from what we have now. It's disappointing to say the least, but I have hope for good fall color in SNE where most of the foliage is healthy, lush and green. I'm hoping to get back up to Vermont this Saturday, but the forecast looks iffy with rain showers and cloudy weather. I'm hearing chatter from friends that the fall color is not great in Maine or the Whites as well.

Return to “Foliage Forum”