New England trip. Seeking suggestion

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

dipan2222

New England trip. Seeking suggestion

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello folks,

I have seen many wonderful posts and amazing suggestions of Vermont. We are coming from Providence and expecting to do some scenic drives and fall colors as well. I hope, I will get sugestion from New England point of view, not just Vermont.
We are reaching on weekend of 9/30 and will have 4 full day (excluding travel dates).

I started my search with two questions.
(1) What would be good time to visit New England area - We don't want to stuck with crowd of Columbus day, so visiting on weekend of 30 september and forecast looks ok.

(2) which are scenic areas/drives - That required bigger search. While most of posts here suggests northeastern kingdom and area north to St.Johnsburry, I was checking below link to see scenic drives in Vermont - http://www.foliagenetwork.com/~foliagen ... ast?id=655
Surprisingly, this doesn't show any drive of that area. Is it because, it is less scenic than other places or it is good for fall colors but other areas are better in over scene photographically ?

Roughly I see two areas to cover, (1) White Mtns, Conway, Lake Sunapee, Killington, Norwich, Woodstock NH, Woodstock VT and (2) Burke, St.Johnsburry Brownington, Stowe.

What are your suggestions ?

Thanks

dipan2222

Re: New England trip. Seeking suggestion

Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm

Yes it is helpful.
As you said, Northeast Kingdom of VT/north of St Johnsbury and Stowe would be guaranteed great colors.
If I have choice to pick one between going up to Pittsburg, NH, Dixville Notch, Rangely Lakes VS Killington, Norwich, Woodstock NH, White Mnts, Conway NH, which area I can pick for my travel dates ?

I tried to understand forecast map and it looks like, North up will be better for early dates. That is reason, I thought of Pittsburg, NH, Dixville Notch, Rangely Lakes. But you are expert for this area, so would like to hear from you.

I have take out Mt Sunappe out of this, as you said, it will still green.

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:27 am

As mmvt mentioned, the northeastern part of Vermont (aka Northeast Kingdom/NEK) is less commercialized than most other parts of the state. However, that can also be a be a bonus during foliage season since you won't have to contend with lots of other foliage chasers on the roads and at popular attractions. It is strange that the Foliage Network map completely omits the NEK. It doesn't even have the tram at Jay Peak on the list of "chairlift rides" either. :roll:

New Hampshire and Maine have beautiful foliage as well. However, one major thing Vermont has over the other two states is the roadside open farm land that (in my opinion) significantly improves the foliage viewing experience. In most of New Hampshire and Maine, the sides of the road are thickly lined with trees and that is all you can see other than a few openings here and there. There are good spots but they are few and far between.
Vermont on the other hand has a more pastoral landscape which provides many more opportunities to see wide open views of the landscape. This is one of the reasons Vermont is more popular vs the other states in the Northeast during foliage season.

Here are a couple options for day drives in NE Vermont that also include a little NH or a lot.

Loop 1 - NEK loop with side trip to Dixville. This loop is roughly 1/4 gravel road. But it hits a lot of highlights like Lake Willoughby and Darling Hill.
https://goo.gl/maps/yscD1pNtQ6L2

Loop 2 - Wide loop around the NEK and northern NH. Mostly main roads.
https://goo.gl/maps/vp7n76ALGm42

dipan2222

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for deatils.

If I make Killington as base, I wouldn't be able to do above mentioned routes (as in map).

It makes me think, where would be better color during my time ? Where it would come early ? Should it be Killington and side trips area or area above Burke (+routes From_the_NEK has mentioned) ?

If both places, then, either I have to make two staying base or have to stay near Burke area and do day trips to Killington area and day trips to Stowe area and day trips to places mentioned in above map.

What do you suggest ?

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 pm

By the 30th there should be near peak/peak color almost everywhere except the Champlain Valley and area of NH south of White Mtns.

Stowe and St Johnsbury are both roughly a 2 hr drive from Killington. Killington is a very nice area. It may make a good base even with the 2 hour drives to get to the other prime northern locations. It also give you pretty easy access to some more southern VT locations.

Since you are only going to be here for 4 days, I recommend you don't try to do too much. Relax and enjoy the scenery instead of trying to make sure you go "everywhere" on a list of places to visit.

dipan2222

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm

So now, where should I think of keeping base. We are now 10 days far from travel. Based on colors and predictions till now, should I --
1- keep St.Johnsburg/Burke as base, and do day trips to Killington area, Stowe area and the one which you mention with maps.
2- keep Killington as base, and do day trips to Stowe (via rte100), white mountain and Burke.
???
I understand we are restricted with less time and that's the reason, we are ready long, if need to, to reach/drive to places, where colors will be better in New England.