'Spectacular' Autumn Foliage Is Forecast For New England = Article Blowing up Multiple Websites and Newspapers!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

'Spectacular' Autumn Foliage Is Forecast For New England = Article Blowing up Multiple Websites and Newspapers!

Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:07 pm

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut ... story.html

Yikes! I first saw this article in the Hartford Courant today and then proceeded to see it blow up on at least six different websites throughout the day. Many of you have probably already seen it but I'm posting it here for all to see and to rejoice in the fact that we "may" have another stellar foliage season in our future much like that of 2016! I've been watching all the "signs" for a few months and when our NE drought ended with the frequent storms and heavy rains, I became quite hopeful! I still think that although the foliage is lush and the trees are mostly healthy, September can be the deciding month as to which way the color will turn out, so we need to keep our fingers crossed! Right now we are having quite warm temperatures, and those fleeting, cool nights that were teasing us here in New England recently have disappeared for now. Trees are still dulling here in northern CT and spots of color are still emerging in random areas in the higher elevations.

I have always remained positive about the upcoming season and only six weeks from today I will be relishing my beloved Vermont and settling in to my first B&B! Yeah! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Re: 'Spectacular' Autumn Foliage Is Forecast For New England = Article Blowing up Multiple Websites and Newspapers!

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:56 am

Hi ct---This is good news---Yankee Magazine also predicted a great Fall in 2014,and they also predicted it would be a little early,were right on both counts--Killington had some of the reddest trees ever that year,and the NorthEast Kingdom was also great--But,like you said,September is crucial,we need those cold nights to show up--Last 2 years Sept temps were way above normal(GlobalWarming) which made the Fall colors arrive later than usual--I think a more normal September, temperature wise,is expected this year

wentworth

Re: 'Spectacular' Autumn Foliage Is Forecast For New England = Article Blowing up Multiple Websites and Newspapers!

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 am

ctyanky wrote:http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut ... story.html

Yikes! I first saw this article in the Hartford Courant today and then proceeded to see it blow up on at least six different websites throughout the day. Many of you have probably already seen it but I'm posting it here for all to see and to rejoice in the fact that we "may" have another stellar foliage season in our future much like that of 2016! I've been watching all the "signs" for a few months and when our NE drought ended with the frequent storms and heavy rains, I became quite hopeful! I still think that although the foliage is lush and the trees are mostly healthy, September can be the deciding month as to which way the color will turn out, so we need to keep our fingers crossed! Right now we are having quite warm temperatures, and those fleeting, cool nights that were teasing us here in New England recently have disappeared for now. Trees are still dulling here in northern CT and spots of color are still emerging in random areas in the higher elevations.

I have always remained positive about the upcoming season and only six weeks from today I will be relishing my beloved Vermont and settling in to my first B&B! Yeah! :D
You know, its funny--It seems like the 'even' years have had the best Falls: 2010, 2012,2014,2016(of course 2011 was a wash because of the Hurricane Irene nightmare)--But this year, I think we'll break that trend and have another great Fall in Vermont this year--It appears from the article that Connecticut and Massachussets had a poor Fall last year,so I hope things are better for them this year

Utah Baker

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:41 pm

This is great news to hear and I'm so excited to come this year! It been quite a roller coaster of emotions here the past few days. My son in law just yesterday accepted a job in Littleton New Hampshire as the AD for Littleton High School. They expect him there in two weeks! So looks like we may helping our daughter and grandchildren (10,8,6 and 3) drive back as soon as they can get their house sold. Then the plan is to fly out again the first week in Oct. Oh, my! We will obliviously be staying in Littleton. I'm so excited for this new adventure for them, and know they'll love the area,but hard to have them so far away. Guess in the future I'll be making more than my annual pilgrimage to Vermont and (gasp) New Hampshire!

bvahjen

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 pm

This will be my first fall in 59 years that I won't be able to be there, so keep the photos and posts coming! I will have to enjoy from afar. Seems like the whole country has settled down into more normal weather trends for once so it should be a good one.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Hello Wentworth! Glad to see you back on the forum. I know you like to keep tabs on the weather and I hope you have a great time in Killington this year! You seem to get to VT by beginning of the last week of September, so keep your reports coming!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi Utah (Janice)! I'm so excited for you with your grandkids coming to NH! What a surprise! I can see you making Northeast trips on a regular basis once they are settled! If you are indeed coming out the first week of October, let's try to meetup at the hike that I posted recently south of Burlington at the new state park. If not, I'm willing to meet you somewhere during the first week of October. Perhaps you and hubby can join us for the Lewis Pond trek that week, or the Peacham meetup. CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 pm

bv: I am so sorry you will be missing fall in VT this year. I thought you were renting an RV and coming back to CT and VT! I'll miss meeting up with you and your wife at the Chester Fall Festival on the Green. :cry: Do you want me to send you some red maple leaves in the mail? :( :( :(

I'll be at the Chester fair the weekend of the 16th and will think of you and how we also met you for sugaring season and saw your beautiful cabin.

Maybe you have time to change your plans? Keep in touch! CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi MMVT!!! Couldn't agree more! That's why I keep emphasizing that waiting until mid-September can be a better indicator of what will transpire, even when "pre-foliage" reports say otherwise. Mother Nature holds the reins! We just don't know what she has in store for us, even during the midst of the season. I do remain positive as always!

Part of the excitement of planning a foliage trip is the anticipation of it all, aka "foliage frenzy"! It's a good thing!

Hope our paths cross this season at some point. I'm going hiking this weekend in Southern Vermont. Will probably be green! Will take a look n' see! CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 pm

I should mention that adding to the frenzy of the "foliage" season is that all the stores have fall clothing fully stocked! Stores even have Halloween items out and the mums have started to arrive as well! Pumpkin spice has sprouted in every way, shape or form. We just had pumpkin custard this weekend! Guess you can't really stop the frenzy! And I'm lovin' every minute of it all. :mrgreen:

New Englanders love their autumn, that's for sure! :wink:

Utah Baker

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 am

All this chatter has certainly got me excited! Would love to do some of the "meet ups ". Right now the details are all in the timing, hopefully the next two weeks everything will be worked out. So much to figure out with daughter packing, selling their home and finding one out there, fingers crossed it all aligns.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Janice! I feel your excitement! Your trip to Vermont and your daughter's move! Both so awesome to look forward to.... I'm off hiking with Charles (ixl) this weekend to hike Mt. Olga in the Molly Stark State Forest off route 9, Wilmington, and we are going to the fire tower! I've been hiking every weekend now and will do a hike each weekend until my trip so I can do some more challenging hikes in Vermont (minus rock scrambling :roll:). I hope you can join me in some of the meetups, one of which is a hike. Keep me posted on your timeline. Best of luck with the move! CT

https://vtstateparks.com/mollystark.html