Early Signs of Fall Extreme NW CT - BRING IT ON! 55 this morning!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Early Signs of Fall Extreme NW CT - BRING IT ON! 55 this morning!

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:45 am

Wow! We are certainly having our share of cool mornings here in northern CT. At 6 a.m. it was 55 under clear blue skies! :shock: So.......I've been trolling the NW corner of CT the past few weekends and as in the past, the very tips of the trees are turning here and there along the hilltops and back roads we have been on so far. Usually this occurs the first week of August sometime every year but this seems a bit early. I can't say the trees are stressed because we have had LOTS of rain this summer and some random, very short heat waves. Perhaps our foliage will be a tad early or on schedule this year. This rainy summer and early cool conditions are certainly welcome! Just after Labor Day, VT should be showing some great signs of foliage change in the very northernmost tiers.

It was very exciting to see these early indicators that our awesome autumn is on its way! There was quite a bit of tree dulling around Goshen, Norfolk, Washington and Litchfield (all towns in the Litchfield County Hilltowns, CT). I'm thinking the same may be around SW VT where we often mimic the conditions there.

Any reports from early leaf change in VT from our locals up there? 8) I just love jacket weather! Our agricultural fairs start in August! Exciting times ahead! :wink:

P.S. Morgan VT was 49 this morning!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Utah Baker

Re: Early Signs of Fall Extreme NW CT - BRING IT ON! 55 this morning!

Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:13 am

Hummmm, trying to pin down dates for our visit. Just looked at the weather predictions for the next three months (Aug-Oct). The entire northeast showing above average temps, which seems odd as I know you had a cooler and wetter summer. Could be your getting a later blast of summer? What do our weather gurus out there think. We may have to come later in the season than normal and that may not be a bad thing.