Recent Vermont Weather

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Recent Vermont Weather

Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:41 am

Here in north eastern Vt, all I hear in the stores and elsewhere this spring is people complaining about the weather. "It's raining again, will it ever stop! " Yes, there has been plenty of rain and a sunny day has been rare. We get one sunny day, then about four of five days of cloudy sky, drizzle and downpours. There have been few thunderstorms thus far, but there have been some high winds. All this is good news for foliage. It is lush and green and the grass on lawns in growing like crazy. Usually when this happens in the spring and there hasn't been too much heat, the foliage in the fall is great and long lasting. So all I can say is that we are expecting colors to be long lasting and vibrant!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Recent Vermont Weather

Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Tim: I love your positive outlook on our fall foliage! :D Seems like the weather has had its ups and downs recently. Dry periods, then lots of rain, cool than hot, etc.! Mother Nature can sure be fickle.

Anyways, Happy Summer to all! This can mean only one thing :!: :!: :!: One more season to go 'till our glorious autumn in Vermont! Three months from tomorrow, September 22nd, will be the autumn solstice! I'm getting so excited for my extended time in Vermont this fall, I think we should begin the official countdown tomorrow. :wink: (Although I think I started it this past January? :lol: ) I have my itinerary completely mapped out and can't wait to stay in the different inns and locales I have chosen this fall.

Let's hope all the pieces of the puzzle come together in good form by mid-September. I'm also feeling good about another stellar foliage year 2017. I have just returned from a glorious vacation and am trying to calm down a bit before tackling my list of amazing adventures planned this summer; including a day trip or two to Vermont to get my adrenaline going! I'm eyeing a few festivals around Bennington to start with and hopefully, meeting up with another forum member, ixl (Charles) for a hike somewhere in SoVT.

Keeping a positive outlook as always on the weather over the next 3 months. Enjoy your summer activities and start planning for Vermont! :D

See you soon Tim! :mrgreen:

From_the_NEK

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:26 pm

So far this June it has been a lot of this:

ImageThunderstorm by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Although some of the storms have been impressive...
ImageStorm Clouds by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageImpressive Grounded Shelf Cloud by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 pm

GEEZUM :!: :shock:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:37 am

It's been feelin' like early fall the last few mornings! :D Low 50's in the mornings and I had to shut the windows last night! I know this is only a tease because we still have a full month of August to get through, BUT... I'll take this tease any time! It is also starting to smell like autumn here and there late at night and early morning when that earthy aroma appears. Just close your eyes and breathe in! Trees are lush and healthy and this is a great sign (one of many to come) of a potentially fine autumn on our doorstep. Keeping fingers crossed for the next 6 to 7 weeks for a decent guess on the fall foliage scenario for Vermont! :D Many factors still need to come together but I am feeling positive already! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Hello! I checked the weather in Morgan and Newport VT and the night time temps are holding steady in the mid 50's. The sun seems to be setting about 45 minutes earlier now? It's pretty dim at 8 p.m. here! Just love these subtle transitions into our next glorious season. This morning was so cool, had to shut the windows! Sooooo nice sleeping with open windows. There's nothing like it! The last few days have been scrumptious, warm sunny days and cool nights. Just what we need to kick start the fall drama! :D We have excellent lush foliage, let's see what comes into play now.

I call these subtle changes "awakenings"! :wink:

wentworth

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 am

From_the_NEK wrote:So far this June it has been a lot of this:

ImageThunderstorm by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Although some of the storms have been impressive...
ImageStorm Clouds by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageImpressive Grounded Shelf Cloud by Tim_NEK, on Flickr
Fantastic pics!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 pm

A cooling trend is headed to New England beginning Thursday, with 70's day and 50's night, lasting through the weekend. Sunshiny days and cool nights, just what the Foliage Doctor ordered. It's been pretty warm and humid the last few days and the front should clear out this nasty mass by Wednesday evening. We are headed towards Labor Day soon and then we have to watch the September trends closely. By mid-September, I think we could make some very solid estimates on how the color is progressing. I'm heading to Chester for their fall festival on the green on the weekend of the 16th and possibly the Peru Fair the weekend after, but that is too far south to report on the color. Hopefully, our local VTers will be tooling about and post here what they find further north! :)

From_the_NEK

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 pm

The green is certainly fading here in the NEK. There is even talk of potential frost Friday night :shock:
I'll be sure to report as the season progresses.