OFF TOPIC: Vermont Maple Sugaring Open House Weekend 2017

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

OFF TOPIC: Vermont Maple Sugaring Open House Weekend 2017

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Hello everyone: Not to be missed is the upcoming Vermont Sugaring Weekend, March 25 and 26th! Sugaring houses all over Vermont will be open to the public to show you their operation and maple products. There is nothing "sweeter" than the intoxicating smell of Vermont liquid gold coming right off the evaporator! The map of the sugaring operations will soon be available and I will post it here. In the meantime, here is my FAVORITE go to spot in southern Vermont, for a truly exceptionally organized maple weekend in Whitingham.

http://www.whitingham-maplefest.us/

There are many tabs to click on within the above link. Sprague and Corse maple operations were among my favorites. The drive up to Corse is absolutely gorgeous on a long dirt road paralleled by stone walls and LOTS of buckets! It is divine! The schedule of events will be linked up soon so stay tuned. Weather permitting, the horse drawn sleigh rides look wonderful. The craft fair at the school is great and so is the home cooked luncheon. Everyone is sooooo nice and welcoming.

Word of advice. It is in the height of mud season. Be prepared! Wear your muck boots and layer up so you can also enjoy the outdoors going to and from the operations. Be car smart, the mud can swallow you up in places so an SUV or truck is advisable. One year we went and had quite an experience with one of the out of the way sugar houses. :roll:

Hope you all can go to one of the sugaring houses but Whitingham is close to southern New England for those who do not have the time to travel north. They have maps at their kiosk and you will not be disappointed!

I will update the post with the state wide open houses as it becomes available.

The sweet season is just around the corner! Buy Vermont Maple! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: OFF TOPIC: Vermont Maple Sugaring Open House Weekend 2017

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 am

Here is the generalized map of locations and also a short description of the various operations. I forgot to say that on my post, the Stevens Sugarhouse was the most intimate setting of all the ones that I visited. It is tucked away behind the main house, small and cozy, with family members around the evaporator eager to showcase their operation. I must say, their syrup was one of the sweetest I've tasted. I remember the jars of various grades of syrup lining the steamed up window and I got lots of amazing photos there! :D If you are looking for a high end sugarhouse with state of the art equipment (LOTS of visitors, great parking and a super gift shop), and in a very rural setting, then Corse might be the one for you. None of the sugarhouses will disappoint of course, so map out your destinations below before you go so you can hit them all. Such great conversations with different takes on their sugaring, the locals were so welcoming. (One year we went, one was closed due to mud, big time! :mrgreen: You can also call ahead...........)

http://www.whitingham-maplefest.us/sugar-houses.html

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: OFF TOPIC: Vermont Maple Sugaring Open House Weekend 2017

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 am

Just out! Here is the grand list of the sugaring houses open to the public! Enjoy!

http://vermontmaple.org/openhouse