Please help me plan for Oct. 7-11!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

gettinaway

Please help me plan for Oct. 7-11!

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:49 pm

Hi all. I am travelling to Boston and renting a car to drive up to see the fall foliage leaving Boston on Oct. 7 and having to be back in Boston on Oct. 11. Last year was my first time to see the Vermont foliage and LOVED IT! We went to Killington and drove down through Manchester and back to NYC. We can't wait to go back so are at it again!

Do you all have any recommendations for a driving route during that time period? Was thinking maybe staying in NH on the 7th, then on to Stowe to stay the 8th, Manchester the 9th (we loved the Equinox, but are definitely ready to see some more towns), maybe drive to the Bershires on the 10th. Is that a crazy schedule?

Please help me with routes--we were a bit late last year and missed some of the peak foliage around Killington. What routes would you all recommend? This posting board is the best source of information out there--it is much appreciated!

Also, any ideas/recommendations for nice accomodations in the areas you recommend? We definitely want to see the best areas this time around and become pros like you all!

THANKS SO MUCH!

gettinaway

Re: Please help me plan for Oct. 7-11!

Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:44 pm

Thanks! I hear you on the booking a hotel room--it's tough, I guess I better decide and soon. Do you think Stowe on the 8th and then down to Killington on the 9th would work (assuming I can find rooms!)

Thanks again!

pwt54

Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:34 pm

I agree with BM. Base youself in the Killington area for 2 nights. First day do route 100 north from Killington to route 100B in Moretown. Do route 100B to the end at route US 2 in Middlesex. Turn right and drive to Montpelier. When you hit Main Street in Montpelier turn right. You are now on route 12 south. Do route 12 south to route 107 south (I think??) and drive that to route 100 and back to Killington. Next day drive route 100 south to route 103 in Ludlow and turn left. Drive route 103 to route 11 in Chester and turn left. Drive into the village and look for route 35 on the left. Drive route 35 to Grafton. Get out and walk a bit. Take the Townshend Road south from Grafton and look for the Grafton Cheese Factory on the left. Check it out. Great cheese. Finish the Townshend Road south to route 35. Turn right and drive route 30 west to Manchester.

pwt54

Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:36 pm

OOPS, when you get to route 11 in Chester you turn right, not left!!!!!

ixl

Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:57 pm

I think you will want to stay up in south - south/central VT in that time period. Should be a good time for the Kelly Stand Road between Arlington and Stratton. Also check out Lake Shaftsbury in the early am.

I think you will be on time for color in the higher elevations of the Berks, but not in the lower elevations. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

gettinaway

Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:18 am

Thanks so much! Do y'all have any recommendations for places to stay around the Killington area since that seems to be the way to go? We stayed at the Inn of the Six Mountains last year and liked it, but, being that we were late then, we were able to get a room--this time...

Thanks again!