10/9: Poultney, E. Poultney, Wells, Pawlet, Middletown Springs, Tinmouth, Lake St. Catherine

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

10/9: Poultney, E. Poultney, Wells, Pawlet, Middletown Springs, Tinmouth, Lake St. Catherine

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Wow, wow, wow. What a day! Started my journey on route 30 south out of Castleton (VERY early color). I was headed towards Poultney when I passed this amazing Browns Orchard in Castleton! They were prepping for a harvest fair and had some tents for crafts, cheeses, wines, food, baked goods, hay rides and a guitarist singing country western from his mike! I HAD TO STOP! I dropped almost the rest of my travel cash here on cider donuts, apples, pumpkins and a gorgeous five pointed star with fall décor for my house! I was in shopping heaven! The place was packed full of anything autumn harvest related and the pumpkin display in front was amazing. So on I went to Wells and Lake Saint Catherine. This area is in mid stage color and many patches of peak but I would say by the middle of next week and next weekend will be peak. The lake had the most high color around and I spent a good hour down there. Beautiful route 30, I just couldn't get over the drive. Stopped at another country store readying for their harvest festival (moose related! lots of hunters coming in there) and I got moose gifts for my friends and family. Turned around because I missed route 140 in Poultney but oh was it worth it. I stopped at a pasture with 20 horses who ALL ran toward me and I got a lot of great shots of them running wild in the fields. I was in horse heaven! :D So on I went on 140 towards East Poultney. The town green, the beautiful church and quaint country store made up for all my lost time (yes, even I get lost big time in Vermont!). Drove through Middletown Springs and beautiful Tinmouth! All of these areas are going to peak by midweek and perfect for the end of this coming week and the following weekend. The drive on 140 to Wallingford is simply divine and I highly recommend it. Rolling hills, mountains, long views, quaint towns and villages, churches, town greens and country stores. You CAN'T go wrong! Ended up in Wallingford which looked like it has some awesome back roads. bm is the expert here so maybe she can post some back roads in Wallingford. I know now I could have take 133 back up to Middletown Springs but live and learn. My next post is on the grand route 7 corridor between Wallingford and Manchester and beyond..... If I can stay up any longer.... we'll see! What a perfect day, I loved every minute of all those roads I was on through these great towns. Again, Poultney, Wells, Pawlet, East Poultney, Middletown Springs, Tinmouth and Wallingford. If I had time I would have gone down to Rupert! :shock:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

aksockeye

Re: 10/9: Poultney, E. Poultney, Wells, Pawlet, Middletown Springs, Tinmouth, Lake St. Catherine

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:17 pm

When you say by the middle of next week they should be peaking. I'm thinking Wednesday the 12th should be good?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: 10/9: Poultney, E. Poultney, Wells, Pawlet, Middletown Springs, Tinmouth, Lake St. Catherine

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:26 pm

I'd say Thursday through next weekend is prime time in those areas I covered! Maybe even past the following weekend. Hope you can go! :D