Day trips from Stowe

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

aksockeye

Day trips from Stowe

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:40 pm

I will do Smugglers gap for sure. Sounds like it is still nice around Barton And Burke Mtn. What are your suggestions everyone? Please don't kick me off the forum for asking if the White Mountains are worth checking out in that other state.Thank you for all of the advice, David+Stacy

Kerry29

Re: Day trips from Stowe

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:10 pm

The Whites are absolutely worth checking out, but I wouldn't dawdle. Every area I've checked--the Kanc, Franconia Notch (haven't been there in a few days), Crawford Notch, Evans Notch, Bear Notch, Pinkston Notch were at peak when I last checked (Evans yesterday; Bear, Crawford, Pinkston and the eastern end of the Kanc today), but a few of these spots are showing signs of having crested. The eastern part of the Kanc, between Bear Notch Road and Conrad, was absolutely gorgeous when I drove through there at the tail end of the day today.

aksockeye

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:44 pm

We are in Stowe tonight for four nights. Trying to make the most of our visit in the North eastern USA. If you want to travel Alaska send me questions. I will try to help.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:13 am

I would agree with bm. Take one or two of the gap roads off 100 while you are there. The Appalachian Gap should be prime right now (Highway 17). The overlook is gorgeous. Route 125 (Middlebury Gap) is a must. Stop at the crest of the hill at Breadloaf College where all the buildings are yellow and behind them, the ridge is on fire and this area should be peak now. There is a cute country store there called the Ripton Store. Also, if you are a fan of Robert Frost as I am, there is an interpretive trail across from the Breadloaf area just down a piece, that is a truly delightful and relaxing trail. The markers have quotes from his favorite poems as you meander along. I have been twice and just loved it. The Lincoln Gap is across from the road to Warren (another small but awesome town). There are some nice long views off this Gap and a hike at the summit which is quite popular. Have a great time and keep asking away!

aksockeye

todays drive

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:16 pm

North on 100 to Lowell fantastic. 58 east to 5a open pasture great. All three Burke, didn't go up the Mtn. 114 to 5 to St. Johnsbury. 2 to Danville then down to Groton, Peacham was cool,nice vistas along road. North on 232 late in spots but still beautiful. Stop at that Bakery in Marshfield go in and ask him what's good and enjoy. Tell him the guy from Alaska should have gotten the blond Mickey Mouse thing like his wife did. It's worth a drive to Marshfield just for the bakery. Where was I? Oh yeah leafs. Marshfield to East Calais backroad. 14 to Hardwick. 15 to Jeffersonville.108 back to Stowe. The gap what can I say? You don't have to go to Alaska to find people driving cars on the road that really shouldn't have a drivers license. All of the towns are interesting and unique. What a Great day. You start thinking its past peak and the next curve in the road gets oohs and aah. Plan on Moss glen backroad that goStowe said is peak tomorrow also,Common rd in Warren, Bragg Hill in Waitsfield ,gap on 17. Already did 125 WOW back down through Lincoln. Open to any firsthand knowledge about where it is Peaking now. Thank you for all your suggestions. David+Stacy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi David and Stacey: I'm about to post my tour today but I must say that if you have the incentive, take the grand slam route 7 corridor from Wallingford - Danby - Mt. Tabor - Dorset - Manchester. It was near peak today (peaking middle to upper tiers of the ranges) on both sides of 7 South but my observation is that tomorrow should be the hot spot there. Magestic mountains surrounding route 7. UNREAL! Light traffic and no hold ups. Stay tuned for a post. It was a very long day and I don't want to forget a thing! :wink:

I am so glad you took 125 into Lincoln. Did you get on the Jerusalem and Downingsville Roads? They were peaking on Friday and the rest of the areas in Lincoln looked like they were about 2 days out to prime time! You'll find high color in Waitsfield and the roads you mentioned, Bragg and Common. Take the East Warren Road as well. Long views amazing!