Middlebury-Castleton-Rutland-Middlebury Loop 10/8/16

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bm

Middlebury-Castleton-Rutland-Middlebury Loop 10/8/16

Postby bm » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Did a loop today out of Middlebury. Took Route 30 from Middlebury to the Hubbarton Battlefield to meet CT. Route 30 between Middlebury & Castleton is one of my favorite "main" roads in Vermont - it has a little of everything. Rolling hills, open mountain views, farm views, lakes, 2 nice college campuses on each end. Minimal traffic Color is starting to come along real nice in this area. I would say a week or so out from peak.
Hubbardton Battlefield is beautiful. Well worth a stop.
Then head east on Route 4 to Rutland to Art in the Park. Color along 4 is still on the early side but heading east you get a nice view of the mountains in the Killington region which are peaking in all of their glory.
Color on Route 7 between Rutland and Middlebury was meh. Its still at least a week away from peak. Route 7 is not my favorite leaf peeping road anyway - being the major north south route on the western side of VT it gets quite a bit of traffic. There are pockets of nice views but you can't slow down and take your time on this road.
If anyone is coming next week/weekend the area to the west of the mountains (west of Route 116 & 7, north of Route 4 and south of Burlington should really be coming on!

ctyanky

Re: Middlebury-Castleton-Rutland-Middlebury Loop 10/8/16

Postby ctyanky » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:20 pm

I'll miss you bm!!!! Thanks for meeting me today, it was a lot of fun! I know we will be back together next year if not sooner. 8)

I will be up to Southern VT over the coming weekends so I'll keep you posted! :D

tyro

Postby tyro » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks for the update, BM.

I am planning a trip for 14,15,16. Will make sure to be there around Burlington. Any top spots around here?
Any other regions you recommend for those dates?

bm

Postby bm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Come to the area I described...its going to be great. The color is really starting to come along. Route 30 between Cornwall and Hubbardton was starting to really good. I'd suggest that and any/all backroads off 30. If you like lakes check out Lake Hortonia and visit Half Moon Pond State Park. Lake Bomoseen is in the area too.

About to post a new thread re: Shelburne & Charlotte-that area starting to look great as well!

Return to “Foliage Forum”