Hubbardton Battlefield&Monument: A Touch of VT History to Appreciate

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Hubbardton Battlefield&Monument: A Touch of VT History to Appreciate

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Early this morning, I went horseback riding into the mountains. The views of the Adirondacks when we reached the summit were amazing. The long views went on forever! It was great to be riding again in Vermont!

I scurried back to my inn to change and met bm and her kiddos at the Hubbardton Battlefield Historic Site nearby. It was very interesting to learn all about the battle that took place there. The monument site was beautiful and the welcome building had all kinds of captivating visual and auditory displays of the battle, explanatory wall plaques for each step of the way the battles took place and a very knowledgeable docent. They have a path that goes through the fields where the skirmishes took place and it was a very humbling experience to walk through Vermont's history.

I like to take time out of leaf peeping each trip up here to do some other fun activities such as hiking, riding, lift rides, festivals, etc. Besides the Bennington Historical Site/Monument, this is the first time I felt emotionally involved with the part Vermont played in the battles. I hope you can get to Hubbardton either this trip or put it on your bucket list for next year. I would have loved to go to Fort Ticonderoga but have just run out of time!

When I was walking the lovely grounds and fields where the battles took place, I turned around and closed my eyes and pictured the troops there and what hardships they must have faced with such limited warfare. As I left, a large hawk circled above for quite a long time. I thought perhaps, that it was keeping watch over the souls who lost their lives there right before me. It was quite humbling and I felt sad leaving, knowing the efforts both sides went through for their cause, only to leave so many injured and dead.

I hope you can visit here. You will be rewarded. Take time out to appreciate Vermont's history. CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Hubbardton Battlefield&Monument: A Touch of VT History to Appreciate

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:47 pm

For you history buffs here is an excellent link about Hubbardton. Please try to go! You'll really enjoy it.

http://historicsites.vermont.gov/direct ... y#monument