Vermont Day Trip

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Pats fan

Vermont Day Trip

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:52 pm

I will be taking a day trip to Vermont on Tuesday Oct.11 and was wondering if anyone had a guess as to which areas of the state will be in peak foliage at that point?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Vermont Day Trip

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:18 am

Pats: Central Vermont should be peaking around then. Try the Waitsfield area! When I left yesterday it was about to burst and the locals said this weekend was going to approach peak! Route 2 to Danville should be gorgeous! Woodstock area will be beautiful as well! Good luck!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Pats fan

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Thank you for the replies and info. I love the waitsfield area but it's too far for a day trip. Trying to decide between woodstock and the manchester/arlington areas. Would woodstock be the better option for my day? Cloudland rd and jenne farm are two places I've heard about for photo ops. Any others you suggest?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:55 am

Hi Pats! I think you should head to Woodstock and do Cloudland Road! Take it to the end and take Old Kings Highway to Joe Ranger Road. It's amazing! Check Minnesota Man's posts on Woodstock. He's quite the expert in this area and as he is coming back from Minnesota after the weekend he may be able to pop in here with more advice. If you can, pm him and I'm sure he will get back to you.

I'm heading to Manchester, Dorset and Danby today. Someone told me the whole area is ready to pop so I'll let you know! Keep me posted on which you decide to do! Have fun! I do day trips from CT on a regular basis and I know the feeling that it can be along day, especially if you head up too far. Coming home the same day can be exhausting!

I'm coming to VT each weekend now for a day trip in the southern tiers until the end of the month and then I travel the NW corner of my state for some incredible routes if you are interested.

I'll be interested as to where you go on Tuesday and how it turned out!

Pats fan

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate all the tips. Seems like manchester is looking pretty good from your report today. I'll let you know how things go on Tuesday.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:56 am

Pats: I'm basically talking about the route 7 corridor. I did not get off any side roads in Manchester. Where are you coming from? I would start in Benn and head north to Wallingford and then take a route home. When I am fully awake I will find a nice loop unless you have one already! :)

If you are heading out early, stop at "Up For Breakfast" in town. Best place for breakfast there. Also, take the Skyline Drive up Mt. Equinox, if a clear day, for views that are unparalleled in my opinion! There is a hike up there I did with some foliage folks to an over look of Manchester town.

Pats fan

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi ct Yanky,

Just wanted to let you know how my trip went. I was coming from albany ny, so I took route 7a then route 7 from bennington all the way up to rutland. The color was great, seeing all the reds on the mountains was beautiful.

I stopped at the west arlington covered bridge , which was very nice.lots of people taking photos. Also, went to lefferts pond in chittenden, which was amazing, I'm no expert but it looked like peak colors to me, got some great photos there. Wish I had more time to explore.

Next year, I'm hoping to stay in the woodstock area for a few days. Exploring those back roads would be so much fun.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am

Pats: I'm glad you took 7! Sounds like you had a nice day for sure. My weekend in Woodstock was great and Minnesotaman is the expert on these back roads. You might print out his posts for next year as a guide so you don't have to shuffle through all the posts which can be daunting! Thanks for getting back and yes, the West Arlington Bridge is nice. I found the parking crazy but manageable. Hope you return next season! :D