Rt 100 Wilmington to Stowe

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

aksockeye

Rt 100 Wilmington to Stowe

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Arrived in Boston this morning. Drove around southern part of your beautiful state today. Leaving Wilmington headed north on 100 for four nights in Stowe. What side roads, or loops can everyone suggest? Really just interested in real time recommended sides for drive to Stowe. I have read most all post. Hope when I get there the NEK might still be holding on. Plan to do the gaps, some NH,Champlain,day trips each day. Retired truck driver I don't mind driving. Let me know where it's best. Thank you, David + Stacy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Rt 100 Wilmington to Stowe

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:09 pm

aksockeye: I traveled the Middlebury Gap today and the colors were on fire behind the Breadloaf Campus (yellow buildings that add a color burst to the foliage shot) at the top of the gap! Plenty of places to pull over! Tomorrow the 8th, I think I saw a sign that indicated they were having lift rides at Snow Bowl just down the road a piece! Stop at the Ripton Country Store, small and quaint! Texas Falls may have a low water flow, but it is gorgeous in there with wooden bridges to cross the falls and ample parking. I did the gaps today and will report on a separate post. Enjoy!

Agree with bm: the Lincoln Ripton Road is a scenic and enjoyable ride!

aksockeye

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:31 pm

Where can I buy the Jimapco map on Rt 100? I asked at several general stores today. They looked at me like I had a third eye.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Try a bookstore! :D It is not a single map but a series of connecting maps in an 8 1/2 x 11 sized bound booklet. Could be about 20 bucks now?

Andy

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:51 pm

David: I am pretty sure its not the "third eye," they are looking it. It has to be the "sockeye" :mrgreen: . Seriously, while that Jimapco is a good map, you will do fine without it. I don't have one and heck, I wrote a book about these areas :-). I just pulled up Google Maps and if you can get reception, it will be fine.

Two side roads that are "cannot miss," in my opinion are the Common Road in Warren and Bragg Hill Road in Waitsfield. Both are very easy to find. Easiest to plug them into Google Maps and the directions are very good. Bragg Hill is a hard left (coming from the South) immediately past the intersection of 100 and 17 (to the West). It almost looks like you are going into a parking lot, so look sharp. You can take a loop on Bragg Hill, following it until it becomes Stagecoach Road. Stay left onto No. 9 road and it will take you back to 17. Turn left on 17 and you will come back where you started at the intersection of 17 and 100. You will see the Bragg Hill Farm many of us have photographed and posted. It is pretty nice if the color is cooperative.

The common road parallels 100 up on a kind of ridge and there are very pastoral views down into the valley, with some nice barns, cattle, etc. You can get on it from several roads. Easier to see on the map than to try to explain. If in doubt, ask. People are friendly there.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:57 pm

I took Bragg Hill early this morning and it was almost at peak on the mountains. There is a great barn there to photograph! Not to miss. Also, I was on Common Road for sunset the other night and wow, it was beautiful. Walked down Common Road until a skunk smell approached and I high tailed it back to my car in a nano second! :lol: The Warren Road is beautiful as well. bm took me on some back roads up there and the views are top notch.

I do love my Jimapco though. Easy to navigate and I find it very useful to have on my yearly trips.