South Vermont trip? Lincoln gap Rt question?wildlife wat

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

leo69

South Vermont trip? Lincoln gap Rt question?wildlife wat

Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:49 am

Going to south VT this weekend, staying in Londonderry Saturday night. Questions.
Is the Lincoln Gap/ RT 17 drive easy enough for not making my pregnant wife sick and have my in-laws ask me to return to NYC or is it worth it? Alternative good foliage route suggestion?

Also, where can we spend time out of the car, afternoon watching wild life, animals, birds, eagles, waterfalls, short walks around green mount south /Londonderry area?

Any very good-food places to eat for very picky in-laws will be appreciated?

Thanks a lot, this forum is the best.

pwt54

Re: South Vermont trip? Lincoln gap Rt question?wildlife wat

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:03 am

I would advise against doing Lincoln Gap. Route 17 would be OK going west to esat. Another route you may want to consider is route 125 from route US 7 in East Middlebury to Route 100 in Hancock. It's easier than the other 2 roads. It has good views and the colors are coming along nicely in the higher elevations. It also has the Texas Falls area in Hancock. It has the falls, a nice short trail system, a picnic area, and bathroom facilities near the parking lot and above the picnic area. The road is paved past the picnic area to the gate where it turns to dirt. By the way that is a very good short dirt road. Give it a try.

cashelan

Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:38 pm

Can you please explain more about why you dont advice Lincoln Gap

pwt54

Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:18 pm

I've done the Lincoln Gap quite a few times including last weekend. My brakes are always hot by the bottom. If you have an automatic transmission make sure your brakes are in good shape. If you have a standard transmission it will be an easier drive.

4sneau

Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:52 am

My sister lives on Lincoln Gap Road....I agree...for "views", there are better roads
as much of the Lincoln Gap Road is borded by the forest. It's a classic case of not being able to see the forest for the trees.