FOLIASMS IN THE NEK! Go Now! Mind Boggling Color!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Re: FOLIASMS IN THE NEK! Go Now! Mind Boggling Color!

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:50 am

Just beautiful Tim. On my way tonight! Looking forward to a great drive up from Boston in the morning, yippee! Any suggestions as to where to go first? We'll be headed towards Smugglers.

Colorado Mom

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Did 114 yesterday......Amazing!!! Caught a couple of the ponds, back down 5A. Caught East Burke again as it was very foggy in the a.m. Even tho we got some great shots we wanted to go back when it was clear. Found the church on Darling hill.....so pretty. Went down 91 to Woodstock. Have to say we got a bit spoiled after being on 114. Took 12 up to Barnard and the lake was pretty. Stopped at Stowe for the night.

Today we went on the gondola and the colors are great. Smugglers Notch is beautiful right now. Took 15 over to 100 then cut down and ended up on Stagecoach Rd where we saw amazing colors on the way back to Stowe.

Tomorrow we head south on 100. Possibly heading over to Marshfield first if color is still good there. Any thoughts???

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Hi Colorado: I'm sooooo glad you had a great time and especially stopped at The Chapel. It was my second visit. Route 2 from Danville right through Plainfield should be great. There is a cute store called the Vermont Flower Farm on route 2 in Marshfield. The guy was super nice and friendly. It's backed right up to the mountain. When I went this week Marshfield was approaching peak and I went nuts when I stopped there. He said, "Nice color, eh?" I had to laugh. I know this meant it was awesome from a local when I was going insane with the reds there. :D

Take route 232 into the Groton State Forest as it still should be great. You might like the hike up Owls Head and also stop at Seyon State Park which hold the infamous (according to forum folks) beautiful Noyes Pond.

When you head down 100 take Highway 17 (the Appalachian Gap - the overlook at the summit should be peaking now). You will love route 125 (Middlebury Gap). I was just there. This weekend will be great at the top and you will enjoy the Breadloaf Campus. All the building are yellow and the mountain behind is in high color. What a sight!

Keep us posted every day on your excursions, and most of all, enjoy Vermont!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:16 pm

Janice! Have a great drive up to Vermont from Bahston! :wink: You are going to hit a great week and the weather looks fine too. I can feel your excitement! Stowe should be peak now! I think the drive over the notch into Cambridge should be beautiful so drive down Pleasant Valley Road and Upper Pleasant Valley Road for some nice views! Route 100 should be awesome around the Gulf through Hancock. Also try riding the Gaps!

Keep us posted on your trip and I can't wait to hear of all your exciting travels. I hope to meet up with you next year if you come, we keep missing each other! :wink:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:23 pm

Janice: I just remembered .... you might try heading into the Lincoln area. Jerusalem Road and Downingsville were absolutely gorgeous and will still be in the coming days! bm will have more updates but it is worth a trip - go over the App Gap and explore the area down there!

Colorado Mom

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks ctyanky!!
The church was for sure a great stop! My hubby was wanting to buy that land for sale by it as well as every other price of property along 114......funny how it does that to ya!!! Thanks for all your info for tomorrow....sure appreciate it!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:05 am

Colorado: I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip! You sound so excited and there is so much to explore! Sometimes, it is hard to fit it all into a day, but I have a feeling, you will be here next year as well! :lol: :lol:

I'm off to Dorset, Manchester and Danby right after breakfast and am taking a leisurely drive from route 30 to 140 to Middletown Springs over to Wallingford on route 7 to follow the Greens. Can't wait! 8)