Questions about Burlington

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

Questions about Burlington

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:45 am

Hi All,

Tomorrow we depart for Burlington. Has anybody been up in that neck of the woods recently? As our base will be Burlington, what would be some great day trips from that point and back. I am cravings some firecrackers! I will always remember 2012 as the most gorgeous foliage year I've every experienced. The weather looks like it should be nice for this week which is a great plus. Now I just need some suggestions... Of course our first stop will be the delicious Rochester Cafe. If they have any Corn Chowder soup left I will be in my glory!
autumn leaf

courtmel

Re: Questions about Burlington

Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:30 am

Thanks bm,

Yes, we are staying in town. We always stay in Killington but made a decision to visit other parts of Vermont. I think I might have made a big mistake. We do alot of driving around, so I'm sure we can easily head east but my hubby said NO to Polly's Pancakes in NH. LOL I wish I could change my reservations. :x :x :cry:
autumn leaf

Andy

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:40 pm

Court: Fear not. You will be fine. Some of Vermont's very best will be within striking distance for you.

You are within 30 minutes of Stowe. It is always a great place to visit and could have very good color, especially through Smugglers Notch. Consider doing a loop on day driving north out of Stowe on 15. On your way will be the Old Red Mill in Jericho. When you reach Underhill, take a right onto River Road which eventually turns into Pleasant Valley Road. Take that and stay on the LOWER Pleasant Valley Road. You will see some great sights, including a barn scene that Carol and I have both photographed. It goes all the way to Cambridge. There are some nice views to your right and behind you of Mt. Mansfield. When you get to Cambridge, you will get back on 15 and head for Jeffersonville. At Jeffersonville, you will reach the junction of 15 and 108. Turn right onto 108 and you will come to the bottom of the Smuggler's Notch Road over Mt. Mansfield. It is easily the most dramatic of all the notch roads in Vermont. When you get to the other side, you will be in Stowe. Eventually you will reach 100 and you can take that back to I-89 and back to Burlington. But on the way you have two other important stops - Cold Hollow Cider Mill, and Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream.

Another great trip would be to follow 89 East to Montpelier (maybe 40 mins) and get onto 2 East. Follow 2 East to all the way to Danville. At Danville turn South on Peacham Road and take it into Peacham. It is a step back in time and one of Vermont's true wonderlands. Beware though that you should take any needed bathroom break in Danville. There are no public bathrooms in Peacham and they are pretty strict about it. But in the middle of Peacham turn right onto Academy Hill Road. On left will be the Town Hall and a quaint little common. Up further on the right will be the volunteer fire department and the Peacham Cemetary. Find a place to park and walk out onto the field behind the fire department and you will see the iconic scene that so many of us have photographed. The cemetary is also wonderful to wonder around in and gives splendid views. Easy day trip there and back.

One the way or on the way back, just East of Marshfield you can turn onto 232 (New Discovery Road) and go through the Groton State Forest. You have heard us all gush about it. You can take the relatively easy climb to Owl's Head overlook of Kettle Pond. You can stop and take a leisurely walk at Ricker Pond. There is a high likelihood of very great color there.

Back down on 302 and back west of 232, you will find the (not well marked, but it is there) entrance to Seyon Lodge State Park. Drive in the Gravel Road to the end where you will come to Noyes Pond. It is spectacular, and is the site of our celebration of George last fall.

And there is much, much more! Again, you did not make a mistake. You will also love downtown Burlington. A great small city!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

courtmel

Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi all, this has to be one of the best foliage years. Awesome color at the Warren Sugarbush Glider airport. Breathtaking. I found Killington area a tad muted though. It's all good
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:25 am

Courtmel: was wondering how it is going for you!

Take route 7 back to CT. The area through Williamstown south is usually peaking by now and that is how I plan to get back to CT and through the NW corner of CT. If you want a cool route let me know! I'm leaving here next week and planned this route last night...... :D

courtmel

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:58 am

ctyanky,

We are home and couldn't have had a better time. The foliage was surreal! Wouldn't you say this year has been surprisingly spectacular? We had great weather (meaning no rain) but if the temperatures were cooler it would have been perfect. I like sweater weather especially this time of year. Tell us your take on this season. I just read about a deadly accident on I-89 in Williston that happened early this morning. I believe I read 5 people lost their lives. Oh my! Be careful as there are many bad drivers out there texting, drinking, etc. Glad to be home!
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Courtmel: this season was nothing but spectacular and I was not surprised at all. All the reports were coming in from meteorologists saying the reds were going to be king this season and that's what happened. The weather was perfect, those blue skies that arrived were awesome! Yes, I like the cool weather too and I brought a ton of warm clothes but I'll take those dramatic colors any time! :D

Our own CT colors are late but will take about a week to go into high color. I start my foliage tours in the NW and NE corners next weekend but also take a day to go back to southern VT! I'm booked right through early November with tours. If you need some back road in the NW hills please let me know. They are my second home and I would love to help you! :D

P.S. Very sad about the five teens killed on I89. Wrong way driver, awful story on WCAX.

courtmel

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:56 am

Thank you ctyanky for all of your help. Today is a beautiful autumn day here in CT. Hoping this autumn stretches out until the first snow!
autumn leaf