Vermont foliage recommendations for Oct 13 to 16?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

tyro

Vermont foliage recommendations for Oct 13 to 16?

Postby tyro » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:45 pm

I am planning to visit Vermont between Oct 13 and 16. Sole purpose is to just enjoy foliage.
Please suggest me best places I should visit, where I could find best foliage around that time.

I have been to Stowe for a quick one day trip 3 years back once and went to Smugglers Notch and took gandola ride to hilltop as well.

abby

Re: Vermont foliage recommendations for Oct 13 to 16?

Postby abby » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Good question Tyro. I'm wondering the same thing. I will be in the NEK (Northeast Kingdom) the entire week next week. But I also have the 14th, 15th, and 16th of October off from work and am considering going back to VT somewhere those dates.
It's a little difficult and kind of a guessing game at this point to know where the foliage will be at that time. My guess is along the Champlain Valley, as this area is usually the last to have color change. Our moderator bm can hopefully chime in because she is from that area and would be able to give you some guidance and suggestions.
Welcome to the forum!
Carol

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:07 am

I would echo Carol's recommendation. The Champlain Valley is probably going to be your best bet that late in the season. If things progress the way it looks, foliage could be largely down by that late in the month. But because of the tempering winds off Lake Champlain, that area lags behind a bit.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

bm

Postby bm » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:31 am

Yes! The Southern Champlain Valley should be great. Get out your map and follow along:
Anything west of Route 116 south to Middlebury and west of 7 from Midd to Rutland, north of 4 (west of Rutland) and west to the lake should be great.
I keep track every year and peak is right around Oct 15 (give or take a few days ) in the Vergennes area.
I would suggest trying to find a room in the Middlebury area or South Burlington/Shelburne.

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Andy, Abby,bm, Thanks for reply.

You guys think it will be almost over around Oct 15 in most of Vermont :? ?
I am planning for that date based on my previous experience. Last time when I visited Stowe 3 years back, it was Oct 16/17 and I think it was not peak even around that time.

Can you please provide some specifics/routes I should follow around champlain valley.
For Stowe I read, rt 100 is best btw.

Return to “Foliage Forum”