Report from this weekend in the NEK

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Utah Baker

Re: Report from this weekend in the NEK

Postby Utah Baker » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:22 am

CT &. Carol, I too am sorry things didn't work this year for a meet up. I'd love to spend some time with Carol and camera and glean some knowledge! One week from Saturday for me! But I better focus and get me butt out the door to work. Ugh! Go Thelma & Louise!!!! (Someday you must come to Utah and see where it was filmed!) :wink:

abby

Postby abby » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:36 pm

I'll do my best to post pictures for you Janice. I don't have internet at my home so I'll have to post when I can. I'd love to come visit Utah some point! :)
Carol

Fallleafechidna

Postby Fallleafechidna » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Hmm darn the reds already look pretty far along at Wheeler on the 25th already so maybe the best spots in the NEK aren't really much behind at all despite all the talk about how I heard it's so far behind to plan for 1/2 to a week late this year?

I'm afraid now that by next Tuesday it would be way late for the top spots like Wheeler Pond and such.

It's always way better to be a day or two early than even one day to late. The reds just turn to nothing if you are even on day late.
I'd rather have the wild reds and red-oranges and few light greens semi-turned than zero green but all the best colors already muted at the best places.

I know a couple years ago there were posts about how NEK was just near peak and would be perfect in a couple days and we got there in a couple days and all the best places were clearly past peak and totally muted away.

Unfortunately sounds like out and out constant rain on Monday I guess. A bit ironic that after severe drought and zero rain, truly terrible down in NJ, as soon as the leaves come.... first rain in months.

I remember in 2014 people said it was very slow and all the maps looked slow so then we get to Wheeler on Oct 2nd and it was all well past peak and shrivelled up already, just a few of the yellow trees left and even those a bit past.

What was beyond belief was 2012 though, hit that area Oct 2 2012 and it was utterly perfect peak and maybe the best turned year ever! (on way aroun dback on the 5th it was utterly gone though and all fallen and dried up, so it happens fast once peak hits).

Wondering how timing is compared to 2012 and 2014 and also what leaf color is like, ultra insane like 2012, average, muted?

abby

Postby abby » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:09 pm

I wouldn't worry at all Falle.........there is still going to be reds and good colors on Tuesday. Wheeler Pond is surrounded by swamp maples which always turn early. The rest of the mountain behind the pond was really early. It will be fine on Tuesday. I don't agree with you that if you miss the reds by one day then they will be gone. That has not been my experience at all. There does not seem to be heavy rain or winds predicted for Monday. Last I checked it said showers. The reds will hang on. The KEK was spotty last weekend. Some areas were only about ten percent changed. If you drive around I guarantee you will find decent colors. I'll try to report here on the forum Sunday night after I arrive back up to Barton. I can't tell at this point how vibrant or muted the colors will be. I thought they looked like they were going to be vibrant when I saw them last weekend. Now, the colors here in SE MA where I live are beginning to change. They look terrible. We are in a severe drought here in SE MA. The colors I saw in the NEK looked pretty darn good to me.
PS Wheeler Pond is best viewed late afternoon before sunset. It you go in the morning (on a sunny day) you will be looking into the sun which is not optimal for seeing the colors.
Carol

Fallleafechidna

Postby Fallleafechidna » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:44 pm

any updates from anyone who was in the general Wheeler Pond area today? Near, past peak? Below avg, avg, way above average foliage year?

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello to everyone - been looking here and decided to join. This is our third trip to VT and NW for the colors - I am a retired Firefighter - wife and I again are driving from Calif to your area - right now in Buffalo and will be spending the night (Wednesday 10/05) in Burlington, VT and then driving east towards 100 and start are way south. I will be reading here and looking for places and advice on where to go. 2009 was our first time in VT and it was Great - came back in 2013 - good but not as good as 2009 - both about the same times - first part of Oct. anyone that would be willing to talk to me and maybe give me some locations - up to the min - call me on my Cell at 209-606-9190 - would love to talk to you. Willing to drive where needed. Last time we rode up to and over to NH and to a place called Robies cabins

http://www.robiescabins.com/

pretty far north in NW -

been marking my 'old school paper map' on advice given here... Now if 'God' will just hold the color until Weds and the following few days, lol

2009 trip

Return to “Foliage Forum”