Foliage Update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

harley0711

Re: Foliage Update

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:39 pm

Carol - good question and it depends on the day and whats going on AND where we can find a place to stay?? Do you have an open room??? LOL

dellybean

Postby dellybean » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and just wanted to say thank you all for the reports and amazing intel on places to visit! I'm from California but went to college in Western Mass and then lived in Boston for a few years. It's been 10 years since I was in New England for foliage but I am fixing that this week! We'll be in northern and central VT from Thursday-Sunday. I'm a landscape photographer and I cannot wait. The daily aerial video from the NEK today got me super excited - for those who haven't seen it yet, check it out! https://vimeo.com/185247157

abby

Postby abby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:09 pm

harley0711 wrote:Carol - good question and it depends on the day and whats going on AND where we can find a place to stay?? Do you have an open room??? LOL

Oh my goodness Michael. You need to book something ASAP.
I'm not familiar with the Western part of the state so don't feel educated enough to give you a route to drive from there, but once you decide which route you are going to take to get East I can help you out. Please book your lodging now.
Carol

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Thing is Abby - not sure where we will be on Thurs or Fri??? or I would...

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:00 pm

Abby - OK< went ahead and used my 'free night' at Holiday Inn - Brownsville, VT for Thursday - Now Friday???? may sleep in SUV - NOT<<<< wife won't be happy - will just have wait - just now sure where we will end up - I know its not the best but I just do not know where the road will take us and where you folks may send us? LOL

Kerry29

Postby Kerry29 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Andy wrote:Kerry: That color looks really good up that way. I don't think I have seen the reds and the varieties all at the same time in all of the trips I have made there. Reminds me of what I remember from back in the 70's when I lived there!

You should find some good stuff. I assume you will, but DO go to the south end of Willoughby. The view from the north is just "eh." Some drama from the South.

Andy--thanks. I will almost certainly check out Lake Willoughby again tomorrow morning. There's an alleged small chance of an actual sunrise (honestly, I haven't taken a single photograph in the last two days that has included sky), so I'll hit May Pond first. Then back to Burton Hill Rd. Then probably Crystal Lake and Lake Willoughby. Then we'll see what time it is and what the conditions are like. (I really ought to check out Wheeler Pond too, time permitting.)

Kerry29

Postby Kerry29 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:13 pm

harley0711 wrote:Kerry, check your PM

Michael

Checked and responded by PM. Let me know if you received the message.

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Kerry29 wrote:
harley0711 wrote:Kerry, check your PM

Michael

Checked and responded by PM. Let me know if you received the message.

got it and followed advice in contacting Abby

Kerry29

Postby Kerry29 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Spent the day in Franconia Notch, so I have no update on VT conditions.

FWIW, after 10-odd hours hiking and photographing along the Falling Waters and Cascade Brooks trails in the Notch, I returned via NH-112 through the Wild River area and NH-116 to Franconia. Colors there are very, very good...some locations are at peak now, others are just a hiccup behind. I didn't have the opportunity to check out Sugar Hill, much to my chagrin, because it was dark by the time I reached Franconia.

I'll spend all of tomorrow in VT and will pass along my findings, as time permits, tomorrow night.

abby

Postby abby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 pm

harley0711 wrote:Abby - OK< went ahead and used my 'free night' at Holiday Inn - Brownsville, VT for Thursday - Now Friday???? may sleep in SUV - NOT<<<< wife won't be happy - will just have wait - just now sure where we will end up - I know its not the best but I just do not know where the road will take us and where you folks may send us? LOL

Ok. I hope you and your wife are early risers because it's going to be a long day for you. Here's my suggestion:

Leave early! Take route 15 East to 100C to Rte 100. Take a right onto Rte 58 in Lowell. Colors will be amazing on this road. Follow Rte 58 all the way to Rte 5A in Westmore. Take a right on 5A and follow it all the way to the South end of Lake Willoughby. From here turn back onto 5A North (go back the way you came) and take a right onto Lond Pond Road. Colors at Long Pond should be amazing. After you stop at the pond continue on Long Pond Road to hard left onto Newark Pond Road. Again, colors should be amazing. Follow road past Long Pond and take a left onto Abbott Hill Rd. Stop at Jobs Pond on your rleft. It's a small driveway with a Vermont Fishing sign on a post. Again, amazing colors. Then follow the road to the end and take a left onto Rte 114. This will bring you to Island Pond. From there, backtrack onto Rte 114 South to East Burke. Take Darling Hill Road if you are interested. It's a pretty ridge road. Follow Rte 114/Rte 5 down to Lyndonville and hop on Rte 91 South to get to your lodging in Ascutney.

If your heart is set on going to Wheeler Pond and May Pond in Barton let me know and I can try to fit those in.
Carol

abby

Postby abby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:49 pm

dellybean wrote:Hi! I'm new to the forum, and just wanted to say thank you all for the reports and amazing intel on places to visit! I'm from California but went to college in Western Mass and then lived in Boston for a few years. It's been 10 years since I was in New England for foliage but I am fixing that this week! We'll be in northern and central VT from Thursday-Sunday. I'm a landscape photographer and I cannot wait. The daily aerial video from the NEK today got me super excited - for those who haven't seen it yet, check it out! https://vimeo.com/185247157

Hi Dellybean and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the introduction. Enjoy your time in VT and please post back your findings here on the forum!
Carol

minnesotaman

Postby minnesotaman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:48 am

I was at Willoughby yesterday, both ends, and in surrounding areas. The areas off the lake are much better than the lake itself, which is still mostly yellows and greens, quite a few days to go, I thought. Try Job's Pond. It was foggy when I was there, but it looked like reds, yellows and oranges across the way. Rte 114 was great in many places, the full range of color peak, reds, oranges, yellows and greens all at once. 105 over to NH also was very good.

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:05 am

minnesotaman wrote:I was at Willoughby yesterday, both ends, and in surrounding areas. The areas off the lake are much better than the lake itself, which is still mostly yellows and greens, quite a few days to go, I thought. Try Job's Pond. It was foggy when I was there, but it looked like reds, yellows and oranges across the way. Rte 114 was great in many places, the full range of color peak, reds, oranges, yellows and greens all at once. 105 over to NH also was very good.

Thanks for the great advice - in mapping Jobs pond - I found Joes pond, lol - another place to check out. Now I am new to the area but I can only find 105 in VT - it looks to stop at the border with NH??? what am I missing??
Thanks again.

minnesotaman

Postby minnesotaman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:32 pm

Joe's Pond is not worth your time. A completely different kettle of fish.

105 from Island Pond to the NH border is what I was referring to. 105 is a Vermont state highway.

From what I saw in the last two days, the northeastern quadrant of VT will be spectacular for the next five or six days, some of the brightest color I have seen in 16 years of doing this.

Tim from the NEK has posted on this site in the past some wonderful drives in the NEK. I expect they will be memorable routes during this period, especially once the clouds lift tomorrow pm.

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:38 pm

minnesotaman wrote:Joe's Pond is not worth your time. A completely different kettle of fish.

105 from Island Pond to the NH border is what I was referring to. 105 is a Vermont state highway.

From what I saw in the last two days, the northeastern quadrant of VT will be spectacular for the next five or six days, some of the brightest color I have seen in 16 years of doing this.

Tim from the NEK has posted on this site in the past some wonderful drives in the NEK. I expect they will be memorable routes during this period, especially once the clouds lift tomorrow pm.

thanks, will scratch Joes pond off the list.... our plan is to spend wed night in Burlington then head north to 105 and follow it East....

Return to “Foliage Forum”