Foliage Update

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kerry29

Re: Foliage Update

Postby Kerry29 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Here's the latest from today's adventures. I drove around a pretty good chunk of the NEK this morning and afternoon. The route, basically, was as follows: 114 from Lyndonville to 105 (just west of Island Pond); 105 nearly to North Stafford; 105 west to 5A (near East Charleston); 5A south to the north end of Lake Willoughby; 16 west to Barton; Burton Hill Rd. west to Irasburg; 58 west all the way to Montgomery Center; 118 south to Eden; 100 north to Lowell; then 58 east to I-91. That pretty well shot the day.

The best color I saw was in and around Island Pond--pretty much, actually, from Newark Pond Rd. off 114 and 105 in the Island Pond area. That area is basically at peak; the only laggards are the birches which are still mostly green (but in the process of transitioning to yellow). The reds are absolutely amazing there right now. The colors, generally, are extremely vibrant (this is true just about everywhere I went--it's just that the Island Pond area was furthest along) and I have no doubt that the on-and-off light rain today made the colors pop even more than they would have otherwise. Most of the other areas were looking good--strong reds and oranges--but a bit behind what I saw at Island Pond. I did visit May Pond, near Barton, and that's at peak too. McAllister Pond, west of Lowell, was also at or very near peak. Pensioner Pond, near West Charleston, isn't as far along. As you might imagine, generally speaking, the higher elevations are further along than the lower ones, but some mountainsides are essentially at peak while others are still at least a few days away.

Generally speaking, the areas I visited in the NEK are in very good shape; they're either at peak or very close to being so right now. Weather today was completely overcast with (as I mentioned) occasional light rain. The forecast for the next couple of days is more or less identical, which should allow peak color to hang around for some time. Light rain should keep things from drying out without knocking much down; temperatures are supposed to be moderate (no cold nights are forecast) and winds very light.

abby

Postby abby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Excellent report Kerry. Thank you so much for such valuable information. Looks promising for an excellent foliage season. :D
Carol

Fallleafechidna

Postby Fallleafechidna » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:55 pm

@Kerry29

Thanks!

Would you say Willoughby is about this far along today? Less? More?:

and would you say it's as brilliant or anything like:

and timing compared to the above?
that was the amazing 2012 but I also recall we went back ther eon the way home just like two days maybe three later and it was just gone, way past peak nothing

or also nearby?:

oh and what is the color and timing compared to Wheeler as seen here OCt 3 2012:

It matters since I'm trying to bug someone to go this year but they are sort of busy and if it's just mediocre to avg this year or if tuesday would be too late.... don't want to press them too overboard. Even anyone PM me and don't publicly post if need be.
Last edited by Fallleafechidna on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fallleafechidna

Postby Fallleafechidna » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:56 pm

above shots were 10/2 in 2012

Kerry29

Postby Kerry29 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 pm

Really hard to say re Lake Willoughby, though my best guess is that, right now, it's somewhere between your first and second images. The visibility was awful while I was there. I was at the north end and I could barely see the cliffs on the south end of the lake; there was that much fog/mist. Can't help re Wheeler Pond, as I didn't check it.

I can't really make a direct comparison to 2012, since I didn't see the conditions with my own eyes, but to my mind, the colors this year are anything but mediocre. I've photographed copiously in Michigan's Upper Peninsula--which contains the same basic tree species as northern New England--and what I saw today compares favorably with the best fall color I've seen in the UP. Take that for what it's worth.

And I very much doubt that Tuesday will be "too late" just about anywhere...at least anywhere I've seen thus far. Three days from now I would expect most or all of the NEK to be at peak color. Nothing about the forecast weather between now and then should produce past-peak conditions.

From_the_NEK

Postby From_the_NEK » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 am

Great report Kerry. I found the same conditions between Lyndonville, Barton, and Newark in the driving around for various places I was going yesterday. With the forecast weather conditions for the next week, The Monday-Wednesday timeframe will be the bullseye for conditions here in the NEK. It has the potential to be equal or better than 2012 since the reds are amazing right now and they should hold on through mid-week.

Wheeler pond yesterday. The reds were mind blowing and the oranges and yellows need a couple more days to finish their change. The eastern slopes of Barton Mtn (near May Pond) looked to be peak too.
ImageWheelerPond1 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

ImageWheelerPond2 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Bean Pond (along Route 5 in the valley below Wheeler Pond). The oranges and yellows have a couple more days to go.
ImageBeanPond1 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Sutton:
ImageSutton1 by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Newark looking east toward the mountainsides on the East Haven side of Route 114.
ImageMaple Ridge by Tim_NEK, on Flickr

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:51 am

Kerry: That color looks really good up that way. I don't think I have seen the reds and the varieties all at the same time in all of the trips I have made there. Reminds me of what I remember from back in the 70's when I lived there!

You should find some good stuff. I assume you will, but DO go to the south end of Willoughby. The view from the north is just "eh." Some drama from the South.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:53 am

Kerry, check your PM

Michael

Fallleafechidna

Postby Fallleafechidna » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:42 pm

oh man that does look like a good season up there

a kicking myself for getting scared by the earlier Monday weather reports, wish I had headed up last night or at worst tonight, Wheeler looks just about max peak, maybe today will be it, so Monday might be a touch less perfect but still good, but fearing Tuesday will have all the reds fading and the true magic

it seems almost exactly like 2012 schedule (in NEK, rest of the state definitely sounds farther behind) and that year it was insane 2nd and 3rd and then two days later....

just hoping the warmth will through some miracle let it hang on an extra day at full

abby

Postby abby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Fallleafechidna wrote:oh man that does look like a good season up there

a kicking myself for getting scared by the earlier Monday weather reports, wish I had headed up last night or at worst tonight, Wheeler looks just about max peak, maybe today will be it, so Monday might be a touch less perfect but still good, but fearing Tuesday will have all the reds fading and the true magic

it seems almost exactly like 2012 schedule (in NEK, rest of the state definitely sounds farther behind) and that year it was insane 2nd and 3rd and then two days later....

just hoping the warmth will through some miracle let it hang on an extra day at full

Wheeler Pond isn't even peak yet. Don't worry about it. The reds aren't going anywhere. It's going to be much better than this picture in a few days. Please relax. The colors aren't going anywhere....they are just going to keep getting better over the next few days. 2012 probably had a deep frost or some strong winds. That's the reason why the leaves will fall. This week there is no frost and calm winds are forecasted. You can't compare this year to that year. Every year is different. Also, there are areas right nearby these places that the colors aren't this far along yet. They will probably peak by the end of this week is my guess. You are going to be just fine.
Carol

Utah Baker

Postby Utah Baker » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Whew! Thanks for the encouraging words Carol, these reports are giving me heartburn! Save a little for me please Mother Nautre. Looking forward to a beautiful drive up from Boston a week from today!

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:17 pm

looks like weather will warm up again a bit next week?

bm

Postby bm » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:50 pm

welcome harley! I'll be posting updates from west central VT over the next couple of weeks. Not sure where in VT you'll be? We should have some reports coming from the Kingdom as well.

harley0711

Postby harley0711 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:01 pm

bm - Thanks,,, right now we are in Buffalo - family??? LOL.... wife talking, I am mapping our drive, lol... Wednesday we drive to Burlington, VT to spend night... right now, plan to drive north from there on 89 to 105 and head east to Island pond - Lake Willoughby - Wheeler pond and then maybe back to Newport to catch 100 and head south?? or 5 to 14 to 100 OR 58 over to 100????

As I said, open to Any suggestions.... for anyone wanting to 'tell me where to go, lol' 209-606-9190 anytime..

Michael

abby

Postby abby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:36 pm

harley0711 wrote:bm - Thanks,,, right now we are in Buffalo - family??? LOL.... wife talking, I am mapping our drive, lol... Wednesday we drive to Burlington, VT to spend night... right now, plan to drive north from there on 89 to 105 and head east to Island pond - Lake Willoughby - Wheeler pond and then maybe back to Newport to catch 100 and head south?? or 5 to 14 to 100 OR 58 over to 100????

As I said, open to Any suggestions.... for anyone wanting to 'tell me where to go, lol' 209-606-9190 anytime..

Michael

Hi Michael,
Welcome to the forum. So, Thursday morning you will be driving from Burlington to the Northeast Kingdom for the day, and you are heading South from there? Where is your next place to stop for the night? Please let me know and I'll give you some suggestions!
Carol

Return to “Foliage Forum”