Where is the best place to hear the call of the loons?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Where is the best place to hear the call of the loons?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:35 pm

I've suddenly had a calling. I want to hear that sultry call of the loons. Something I have never experienced in person. I think at this point since the moose hasn't come my way yet in my years of travel in VT and NH, I'll move on to the next best thing, loons. Now I crave experiencing the loons. :lol: Since I will be in the NEK most of the trip, what ponds/lakes up there would I experience this beautiful creature and it's eerie call? Is it only at dawn or dusk?

Maybe because we are approaching the full moon, I'm getting loonie myself. :mrgreen:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Where is the best place to hear the call of the loons?

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:21 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=so ... &FORM=VIRE

This is just what I want to hear! Nice video!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks Carol! I hope this happens! I would be so excited! Do they most appear at dusk or early evening?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Ahhh yes, a changed woman. Something to look forward to! Carol, I've been working on getting up at 5:30 but I still can't get out of the house until 8. I promise I'll do better. :roll: I don't want Thelma to leave Louise behind, especially if Brad is waiting!!!!! :mrgreen: (Private joke from Thelma and Louise's Part I adventures many years ago). I'll get my coffee and everything ready the night before. PROMISE!

Stay tuned for their adventures to begin on October 3rd! :wink: