Foliage Report for September 14th 2016

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Foliage Report for September 14th 2016

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:15 pm

Fall Foliage Report for September 14th, 2016

(First report by the State this season)

Most of Vermont's forests are very green and still in the earliest stages of color development, but the state’s foliage show has begun in the north and at higher elevations. Foliage enthusiasts are encouraged to visit Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom during these early stages of the foliage season.

“There are some isolated pockets of very nice early colors - particularly yellows - emerging in the north, and also at higher elevations, even in central and southern Vermont,” said Vermont Forests, Parks and Recreation Commissioner Michael Snyder. “Some dryer sites, roadside trees and village sugar maples, along with red maples in the wetlands, are showing typical early splashes of red.”

Overall, foliage season is shaping up quite nicely statewide, according to Snyder. Although some opinions are circulating that fall foliage might suffer because of dry conditions in 2016, that hasn’t been the case in Vermont. In fact, some of the state’s best foliage years follow dry summers because, most often, dry weather brings out the reds, thanks to some details of plant physiology.

Trees everywhere in Vermont are beginning to distinguish themselves in the canopy and with a slight but visible change from summer's deep, lush greens to a range of lighter green hues, hinting at the full display that is yet to come.

Forester Matt Langlais of Essex and Caledonia Counties is encouraging folks to head to the Northeast Kingdom for the best bet on seeing early-season colors. "The hardwood ridges and low lying red maple swamps along Vermont Route 114, from Island Pond through Norton to Canaan, is where the show is beginning."

Best Bets (North to South):
- Northeast Kingdom Byway, which runs north along Vermont Route 114 between St. Johnsbury and East Burke, where it connects to Vermont Route 5A and continues north to Newport.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Foliage Report for September 14th 2016

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks for the post Tim. It's always exciting when the first state report comes out!

courtmel

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Thanks for the report Tim! The first report gets me very excited knowing we are on our way to viewing heaven on Earth! I hope I didn't make a huge mistake by booking Burlington for the first week of October. I wanted something around Stowe but anything I could afford was already taken. We don't mind driving around at all but I love the NEK, Stowe area and forgive me, the area around Polly's Pancakes in New Hampshire. I love the atmosphere at Polly's and the scenic roads, not to mention the pancakes... :D Maybe I should have booked in New Hampshire :oops: :oops:
autumn leaf

courtmel

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:19 am

Well, Burlington here we come...Thanks for your reply BM
autumn leaf