Burlington Area 1st week in beautiful October

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

Burlington Area 1st week in beautiful October

Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi all,

Even though I am sitting at my kitchen table with the windows finally open I am thinking about my trip to Burlington. Some of you know we usually make our home in Killington-Mendon for the week but after doing that area for many years it is time to explore a different part of Vermont. My husband is excited about being by the lake. I am looking for route, restaurant, must sees or anything about that neck of the woods. Of course we will head to Stowe to enjoy dinner at The Whip. Other than that I need your sage advice and past experiences.

To all my foliage fanatic friends, our time has come!
autumn leaf

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Burlington Area 1st week in beautiful October

Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi Courtmel: Since you mentioned your hubby is excited about being near the lake, how about a cruise? I've been trying to get on the Spirit of the Ethan Allen for years but either the weather or time constraints came into play. They have all kinds of sails so check out their site:

http://www.soea.com/

bm has the most experience here so keep asking her questions! :wink: I also agree on Mt. Philo State Park. The views up there are gorgeous. bm took me there a few years back. Loved it!

As you have indicated, you are now exploring a different area. I am doing the same. After many years in Waitsfield, I'm now staying in Woodstock and Castleton for the beginning and end weekends of my trip. I think it is a good idea to change it up now and then and explore new areas from a different venue. You may be pleasantly surprised! I'm looking forward to new adventures myself. Good for you!

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi Courtmel! I second Shelburn Farms, one year we had Sunday brunch at the mansion and it was fabulous! (need to reserve in advance). Libby's Blue Line Diner in Colchester was good as well. One of our first trips we did the dinner cruise on th Ethan Allen and that was wonderful too! But from the warm weather sounds like you may need to head up north for color. I have always wanted to explore the islands more (Hero) their Apple festivals always look like a lot of fun.

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Ahhh, that's too bad :? Just though of another place just north of Burlington , can't think of the name, maybe bm can help , but it was run by the New England Culinary Insitute , the students all work there , the food was seasonal and excellent!

Utah Baker

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Oh, pooh! :( That was one of my favorite memories, the location and setting was perfect! Another one bites the dust.

courtmel

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions for our trip to Burlington. I definitely feel the warmth coming from the lake keeps temperatures up in that area but the lake is calling my hubby. I am hoping for a few frosty nights. Bring it on, Mother Nature!
autumn leaf