Oct 11-16, best area to stay

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Lmsalcito

Oct 11-16, best area to stay

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:16 am

I know I am in trouble by you all because it seems as though I can't make a decision. But it is a big one. Now, we kind of know how the season is progressing, SO.. these are our options... Ludlow, londonberry, East Dover, willmington, brattleboro or even Lake Bomoseen. I found a bunch of cute places in the Mount Snow area, but is that too far south? Or shall we stay closer to the Woodstock area? :eek: I am not having trouble finding places.. We are staying midweek. We have to decide pretty quick though.. But if any of you were flying from Florida and wanted to be in a blazing colorful area..not too far from nice drives,quaint villages, Vermont shops, apple orchards etc.. Where would you stay for 4 or 5 nights? You all know best... I live very far away. Thanks.. and don't hate me!

ixl

Re: Oct 11-16, best area to stay

Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:27 pm

Manchester is also a nice place that time of year.. and has the advantage of proximity to the higher elevations.

Depending on the year, Oct 11 can actually still be early for Bennington and Brattleboro.... --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:20 pm

Peak color should be around Woodstock on the 11th amd around Manchester by the 16th. Any of the places except Lake Bomoseen will work. You will be in good color areas and an hour or less from the peak foliage area. If it was me I'd stay in the Woodstock or Ludlow area. Do roads north of there on the first full day. The colors may be a little past peak but still very nice. Routes 110, 14, 12, 100, 132 and route 65 to the Brookfield Floating Bridge. Then do southeastern Vermont and the villages of Chester,Grafton,Townshend, and Newfane. Then do southwestern Vermont. When doing the Manchester to Bennington use route 7A and not route US 7.

ixl

Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:39 pm

If I could disagree slightly with pwt54... I think route 7 is much nicer than 7A for foliage between Manchester and Bennington. It goes up very high and offers sweeping views of the Greens and Taconics. Perhaps take 7A south and 7 going north.

In the Arlington area on route 7A, Lake Shaftsbury is a must. Go early in the morning.

--c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:30 pm

It's a phobia that I have. I was on the survey crew that surveyed the new route 7. I had to slough through neck deep muck in that swamp between Arlington and Shaftsbury. Of course that did keep the mosquitoes from carrying me off to their nest.