Hurricane Irene Five Years Ago Today

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Hurricane Irene Five Years Ago Today

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:17 am

http://www.wcvb.com/weather/irenes-unfo ... d/21676140

Today is the five year anniversary of Hurricane Irene which devastated large parts of Vermont and neighboring states. Most of the scenes seen in the link above are of Vermont. They are unbelievable. To see how Vermont has recovered from this terrible ordeal stirs the soul. Wilmington, one of the hardest hit areas, has blossomed into a picture perfect town which I described in my earlier post. For those of you new to discovering Vermont, these photos will tell you the story. How some of the roads came back so fast astounds me. Resilience is the word to describe how it came full circle, the state and the people together. :D

(The first shot may be an ad so keep scrolling through!)
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Re: Hurricane Irene Five Years Ago Today

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:28 pm

ctyanky wrote:http://www.wcvb.com/weather/irenes-unfo ... d/21676140

Today is the five year anniversary of Hurricane Irene which devastated large parts of Vermont and neighboring states. Most of the scenes seen in the link above are of Vermont. They are unbelievable. To see how Vermont has recovered from this terrible ordeal stirs the soul. Wilmington, one of the hardest hit areas, has blossomed into a picture perfect town which I described in my earlier post. For those of you new to discovering Vermont, these photos will tell you the story. How some of the roads came back so fast astounds me. Resilience is the word to describe how it came full circle, the state and the people together. :D

well said ct--I remember that Killington was shut off and isolated because the flash floods damaged the roads so bad--We got up there in late Sept, a month later, and there was still a lot of damage to see but most of the roads were ok, parts of 100 were a little rough--Of course the freak storm destroyed the colors that year, but the following year was one of the best Falls ever--still can't believe the reds I saw in Killington that year, and in the Northeast Kingdom

wentworth

Re: Hurricane Irene Five Years Ago Today

Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:34 pm

ctyanky wrote:http://www.wcvb.com/weather/irenes-unfo ... d/21676140

Thx for the pics