The Leaves Are Starting to Change Here in Northern CT

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

The Leaves Are Starting to Change Here in Northern CT

Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Hello foliage friends: I took a drive west in CT and there are some tops of trees starting to boast their reds for all to see. Especially in the higher elevations and in swampy areas. Now, it "may" be due in part to the drought we are having in CT but again, this is about the time, mid-August each year, where the trees start their autumn dance. Although we are experiencing sizzling temperatures the last few days, the mornings seem cool and the days are shortening. Have you noticed the sun is setting earlier each day now? We are just a month and a week away from the first day of fall and frankly, I'm ready! This has been one of the hottest summers I've experienced in a long time. I know VT is getting pummeled with lots of drenching storms so the trees up there are fine. I hope to get up to southern VT in September a few times before my trip for the Chester Fall Festival and some other events. I'm getting very excited for the fall excursion and to see Carol, bm, mmvt, Phil and Charles.

To those of you who live in New England, keep your eyes peeled upward and you'll see the change a comin'. :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

wentworth

Re: The Leaves Are Starting to Change Here in Northern CT

Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:20 pm

"boast their reds" that's what I want to hear about five weeks from now

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:25 am

I'm wondering how all the rains up there affect the colors. It would be nice to have another red season but I'll take all the colors I can get! When are you going up this year? You are usually one of the first to know. I'll be in Woodstock area the first of October so I know I'll have to travel north to get some real color. I am changing up my intinerary for the first time in years but will be in the NEK with Carol (abby) for the first full week in October, than back down to Castleton area. I just want to attend a few events in Woodstock the first weekend in October that have been on my bucket list including Billings Farm and hiking in the Marshall Billings Rockefeller State Forest. So much to do, so little time! Plus I have to get my shopping done in Woodstock because Carol said no shopping while I'm up in the NEK with her! :mrgreen:

wentworth

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:06 am

well, ct, point of departure depends on the temperatures in Sept--As you know, the Fall in 2014 was early and last year it was late, such a warm Sept last year delayed the Fall, while in 2014 it was actually somewhat early in the NEK cuz of the crisp temps--and 2012 was just right lol

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:26 am

Been traveling all about northern CT and things are moving along nicely down here, still really hot! Just wondering if the trees are dulling up there in VT as well. Nice patches of color appearing in spots in our higher elevations - it's very exciting for sure. Lots of rain coming this afternoon and evening which should ease our drought just a bit.

We are now one month away from the first day of fall! :D

But who is counting...... :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:38 am

A top ten, pristine fall-like day here in the northeast! Refreshing breezes, azure blue skies, and lower temps last night and tonight! Ahhhh we are on our way! 8)

bvahjen

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Tonight's low is going to be 49, come on fall!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm

It was such a "pre" fall day today here in the northeast - 58 this a.m., what a tease from Mother Nature, I just HAD to put up one fall decoration on my front stoop. It's small. Just one though....... for now...... :? :wink:

wentworth

Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 pm

abby wrote:Same here CT in Southeast MA. I actually wrote a blog post today which kind of goes along with what you wrote here. (Great minds think alike)

http://carolsviewofnewengland.blogspot. ... mn-is.html

Carol
Sorry to hear that the Boston area in such a bad drought--hopefully, Sept will have lots of rain to save the Fall there--Luckily,Vermont is in much better shape, only Stowe has been way below normal rain-wise for August

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:01 pm

Another cool morning here! With all this sunshine, warm days and cool nights we should see some more progression in the trees by Labor Day Weekend.

I'm aching to put up my fall foliage wreath! :shock: Someone in the neighborhood, a transplant from the northern tiers, put up their wreath and beat me to the autumn plunge! Ugh! :twisted: I may just have to pay them a visit and set things straight. :P

Maybe I'll put mine up tomorrow then..... the die is cast! My neighbor's burning bush is turning red, he is in big trouble!

Carol: great minds think a lot, yes, and the adventures of Thelma and Louise are about to begin. Am I Thelma or Louise? I forgot! :lol:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:42 pm

7:38 and it's dark already! We've lost a good hour of daylight it seems in the last few weeks!

Carol: you can be Thelma and I'll be Louise. We should get our names straight before Brad arrives.... :P

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:54 pm

I put my huge fall leaves wreath on the door today. I couldn't wait a moment longer. :? So what if it is still 90! I was going to wait until after Labor Day but Mother Nature ok'd it for me. I just couldn't argue with her. :mrgreen:

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello all from CT: I just spent 8 hours in the NW hill towns of CT (minus 3 hours for my horse show :wink: ) and the leaves are a 5-10% in color with, as much reported with drought data, bright orange, red and burgundy emerging. I am wondering what is happening up there in VT? Carol is going up next weekend. The NW corner of CT mimics somewhat of SW VT. The trees here are extremely healthy despite our lack of rain and ridiculous 90's the past couple of days. :evil:

Anyways, it is looking great and I had an amazing time driving as many back roads as possible. If anyone is ever interested in roads in the NW corner let me know. It is really looking like the beginning of fall up there and it was 10 degrees cooler than in our valleys! Got my adrenaline going for sure!

I'm off to MA tomorrow for a fall craft fair and will keep an eye on the color as well. I'll be in the Concord area and hope to stop at Walden Pond. Perhaps VT the following weekend to check out the foliage situation. Hope you VTers keep us posted on what is emerging up there as the days are getting closer to our trips!

I'm pooped. :mrgreen:

loafer89

Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:07 pm

I did the drive to Lake Mattawa today and the is some color change along Route 2 and the I-91 corridor. There where a few trees here and there nearly completely changed. It's getting to the point where it's not possible to keep an all green landscape in eye's view. The cooler weather next weekend should get things changing faster.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Loafer: can you keep an eye on the Quabbin for me if you happen to go in that area in the coming weeks?

Also, I was in Concord MA area yesterday and it is green as ever. More color change in the elevation areas of NW CT as I mentioned. This week's cool down will certainly move things along! This morning was in the 50's and felt like a true autumn day. Today was coined as a top ten day! Perfection!