hikes

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

rubilips

hikes

Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:04 pm

We will be staying in Middlebury Vt. Oct 6-8 and then want to travel around for a few days until the 10th or 11th. We would like to find nice hikes in the area (2-6 miles) that might include bodies of water and of course great foliage. Would also appreciate any tips for that area or other place we should go.
Thanks in advance

pwt54

Re: hikes

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:30 am

Thanks for the answer BM. I have trouble answering questions about established hiking trails because I seldom use them. I prefer to walk old roads to long forgotten farms and settlements and exploring them. I have done the Falls of Lana trail off route 53 and enjoyed it. I have also done the Snake Mountain Trail in Addison. It's on the Mountain Road in Addison. You can find The mountain Road off route 17 about a mile east of the Jct. of route 22A in Addison. What a view. Now about a mile west of theJct. of route 22A is the Dead Creek Wildlife Area. The snow geese should be there. Head on down and watch the show. Now just south of the parking area for goose watching, route 17 goes down a little hill, over a bridge, and back up a little hill. Right at the top of that hill on the left is a dirt road that follows the creek. There should be a green sign next to the road. Drive that road out to a parking area on your right. It may be full of campers. These are goose hunters. Not to worry, they can't hunt in the refuge. Straight ahead it a road with a gate. Park on the side of the road so you won't block the roads and walk by the gate and hike that road. It's not a long or hard walk, but there are some small ponds and inlets and there should water birds out there. I've seen bald eagles out there of and on.

rubilips

Re: hikes

Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:57 pm

Thanks bm and pwt54 for the suggestions. Following old roads sounds like fun too. Too bad we can't bring our bikes.
From what I have read here I think we will spend the two days away from Middlebury near Woodstock. Any suggestions for lodging?