THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

faxmachineanthem

Postby faxmachineanthem » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:35 pm

I did my best to map this out on Google maps if anybody else is interested. You can even send the route to your GPS. Looks like a good one, thanks NEK!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 17294&z=11

From_the_NEK wrote:Loop through the central Northeast Kingdom

Living in the Northeast Kingdom, I could go on for ever about the various routes that provide great foliage viewing. Here is one of my favorites.

Note: This route is rather complex and involves quite a bit of gravel road driving (which in my opinion is where the best viewing is found). However. if you're up for trying it, I think you'll find it much better that traveling through the valleys of the NEK which is where the major paved roads keep you.

abby

Postby abby » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this google map Faxmachine! Also, thanks to From The NEK for posting the original directions. It's full of beautiful scenic roads. GREAT JOB! I am familiar with all of theose roads....except I am not sure if I have ever been on Pudding Hill Road so I will be sure to check that out one of these days.
Carol (abby)

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:20 pm

If you do the Abbott Hill Road, look for a sign for the Jobs Pond boat access road and take it to the pond. There is quite a view there. If the red maples are peaking below the cliff it makes a great photo.

ixl

Postby ixl » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:01 pm

Just a quick note to add in that Route 9 from Brattleboro to Bennington is a great ride if you've not done it before, and from what I can see here in the valley, should be getting very nice color-wise this weekend.

Also worthwhile is Kelly Stand Road, a winding dirt road at the higher elevations going between Stratton and Arlington.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Aspen

Jeffersonville/Johnson (18 mile loop)

Postby Aspen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 am

One morning, my husband and I drove from Stowe in 2005 to the Jeffersonville and Johnson areas of Vermont, looking for covered bridges. We made a wrong turn onto a beautiful dirt road that followed a river. After our visit to Vermont, mentioned this beautiful drive on a dirt road along a river on this forum. PWT believed we drove along the Lamoille River.

Below is an 18 mile loop drive which goes along the Lamoille River and is officially listed in our tenth edition of Vermont: An Explorer's Guide by Christina Tree & Sally W. Johnson (12th edition is out now)

Jeffersonville/Johnson (18 mile loop)
From the junction of Routes 15 and 108, head north on Route 108, but turn onto Route 109 (note the Poland Covered Bridge on your right) Take your first right, Hogback Road, which shadows the north bank of the Lamoille River most of the way into Johnson. Return via Route 15.

Aspen

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:57 am

Aspen: My old "stomping grounds." I lived in Bakersfield (about 8 miles north on 108 from this junction). I went to church every Sunday and Wednesday night in Waterville (if you continue on 109 instead of turning onto the hogback, you come to Waterville -- a couple nice, covered bridges through town). I have driven this route many, many times and have to agree with the Explorer's guide. Its as good as any route anywhere I have ever driven for views, any time of the year. Fall foliage is the icing.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

scurtis623

Driving directions

Postby scurtis623 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:21 am

How do you load those directions to your gps?
Shirley

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:30 pm

ixl wrote:Just a quick note to add in that Route 9 from Brattleboro to Bennington is a great ride if you've not done it before, and from what I can see here in the valley, should be getting very nice color-wise this weekend.

Also worthwhile is Kelly Stand Road, a winding dirt road at the higher elevations going between Stratton and Arlington.

How is the condition of Kelly Stand Road say mid-October? I have someone coming to Vermont who just bought a new car and is imagining the road requiring some kind of monster truck. Having not actually driven it myself, I need first-person evidence to (hopefully) dispute this idea.

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:37 pm

The Kelly Stand Road is an easy drive in a car. Colors in Mid Oct. will not be the best.

scurtis623

Load map onto gps?

Postby scurtis623 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:46 pm

How do you do this? I have a garmin 60csx.
Shirley

faxmachineanthem wrote:I did my best to map this out on Google maps if anybody else is interested. You can even send the route to your GPS. Looks like a good one, thanks NEK!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 17294&z=11

From_the_NEK wrote:Loop through the central Northeast Kingdom

Living in the Northeast Kingdom, I could go on for ever about the various routes that provide great foliage viewing. Here is one of my favorites.

Note: This route is rather complex and involves quite a bit of gravel road driving (which in my opinion is where the best viewing is found). However. if you're up for trying it, I think you'll find it much better that traveling through the valleys of the NEK which is where the major paved roads keep you.

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:00 pm

pwt54 wrote:The Kelly Stand Road is an easy drive in a car. Colors in Mid Oct. will not be the best.

Too early? Too late?

Thanks for the help.

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:33 am

Too late most of the way. The beginning and end of this road are in the lowlands and may have good.

deaner1971

Postby deaner1971 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah, that what I was thinking too. I am really sad that I couldn't come up earlier. I am trying to balance the schedules of four other people so the weekend of the 16th - 19th was the only time I could make it work. Looks like we'll be past the peak which is a shame. Usually I make it up during one of the first two weeks. Oh well, a weekend in Vermont is still too good to pass up.

jaspal

Postby jaspal » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 pm

Guys, back at the hotel from my 3 day VT visit.

Thank Andy, Cttanky, mmvt and all for the great suggestions.

My personal favourite was the route from stowe to Jeffersonville via smugglers notch.. its great.

The other route which i liked doing today was going from Williston to Lyndonville -- on the lake (was raining and hence had to rush and hence do not know the name), but it was awesome.

Going to visit the Richmond church now for the Chicken Pie Supper. Trust this is gonna be a great experience.

BTW - You should visit the Cold Hollow Cider Mill for great maple syrups and other products... they are really great.. Thanks Andy for the great suggestion.

Cheers
Jaspal
Cheers
Jaspal

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:16 pm

Jaspal! Glad you are having so much fun! The Cold Hollow Cider Mill is awesome. Smuggler's Notch is a must do for anyone. So exciting to go through it for sure!

I was with bm on one of our three day tours and we took a photo of the Richmond Church. We went inside and it was lovely.

Please let me know how you liked your Chicken Pie Supper! I would like to continue my church supper thread every year and I hear that one is great!

I can't wait to hear all about your experience! :wink:
CT - Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

Return to “Foliage Forum”