THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

VERMONT WATERFALLS

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Now that our VT trips are sprinkled with towns and villages, notches and gaps, restaurants and diners, overlooks and gorges, covered bridges and “back roads”, (phew!) I thought I would throw in another dimension to add to your already packed itineraries! Waterfalls!

I contacted the Ranger District today by way of bm’s very nice link, http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/gmfl/green_moun ... cliffs.htm, and have some great water fall locations and lots of information on the Falls of Lana. I’ve only passed by Moss Glen Falls, (gorgeous!) so if anyone has more water falls or more details to add on the ones below, please chime in! I’m going to hit two of these as they are already on some of my planned routes. Enjoy!

1. Falls of Lana: “The Falls of Lana should not be more than 15 minutes (if that) away from the large parking lot on State Route 53 just south of Branbury State Park on the other side of the road. I would advise returning to our website and looking at the map and guide for "Silver Lake Area Trails." To get there choose "Recreation Management" under "Green Mountain National Forest" at the left hand side of the page and then choose "Day Hiking." I would suggest parking in the long parking lot and going up the trail towards Silver Lake before branching off to Falls of Lana. It's only a short distance, as you will see from the map on the guide. I have never been satisfied by my own efforts to reach the Falls from the smaller parking lot to the north of the long one, even although it's marked Falls of Lana. Our postcard shows a frontal view from below the falls. I think you might get that view from scrambling down the bank to the west of the falls and looking east. You will probably do best being content with the view from the top.”
2. Texas Falls: Route 125 on the way to Hancock. 15 minute drive east of intersection of 116 and 125.
3. Lye Brook Falls: “In the Lye Brook Wilderness, route 11 and 30 east of Manchester Center. The falls are about a mile and a half to two miles in from the parking area. A thin high stream but very nice.”
4. Moss Glen Falls: Route 100 between Granville and Warren.

pwt54

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:55 pm

The Moss Glen Falls in Stowe is a good one also. Take route 100 north from Stowe. You will come to a long straight section with a lonely farm on the left. At the end of the straight section, route 100 curves left and there is a road coming straight at you on the right. This is the Randolph Road. Take the Randolph Road and look for the Moss Glen Falls Road on the right side about 1/4 of a mile ahead. Drive the road to a sharp right curve going over a bridge. There is a parking area at the top of the curve. Park there and walk the trail to the falls. The tral is not very long. Maybe 1/2 of a mile?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:12 am

PWT: thanks for your reply. Odd though, that two VT falls are named the same. Is there some history behind it or just a coincidence?

dennisJ

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:36 am

I stumbled on www.northeastwaterfalls.com. It covers all New England and has alot of pictures, directions and photo tips.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 am

dennisJ: Nice descriptions of the falls and very inviting! Thanks!

dennisJ

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 am

I like that they show alot of pictures. Look at The Falls of Lana. It really lets you know what to expect after your hike.

azeez_a

Approach to falls

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:59 am

Since my wife is expecting, I don't want to hike to a fall. Are there any falls where you could drive to, park and have a good time? Appreciate the help. A short walk is fine but I want to avoid any serious walking.

Regards,
Azeez

pwt54

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:31 am

Moss Glen Falls on route 100 in Granville and Texas Falls in Hancock are short easy walks. Both Moss Glen Falls were name way back in the old days, so it's a coincidence. There were 2 Perkinsvilles in Vt. One in Weathersfield and one in Johnson. The one in Johnson had to the their name to East Johnson because the other one was created first.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 am

bm: if you go to Falls of Lana, can you make a post before one of my trips on Oct. 12th? That's the trip where I'm doing the Upper Notch Road/Lake Dunmore route........... thanks!

pwt54

Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:45 pm

The Vermont Chamber of Commerce uses this website for the waterfalls section of their summer vacation guide.

Pentaxguy

Re: Approach to falls

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:38 pm

azeez_a wrote:Since my wife is expecting, I don't want to hike to a fall. Are there any falls where you could drive to, park and have a good time? Appreciate the help. A short walk is fine but I want to avoid any serious walking.

Regards,
Azeez

It's not in Vermont, but not far away from Wells River off Route I-91. The Silver Cascade on Route 302 near Bretton Woods, New Hampshire is right along the road, and in peak foliage is spectacular. Long and tall falls framed by reds, yellows, and oranges. Parking lot right across the street. There's another smaller falls nearby. This is a great road to follow to Bear Mountain road in Bartlett. Take the road for long views and arrive at the end on the famous Kancamagus Highway between Lincoln and Conway.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Boston Globe article highlights Moss Glen Falls 10/7/07

Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:47 am

Foliage Friends: Today's Boston Globe highlighted the Moss Glen Falls (Granville, VT). It was a nice article so I've included it here:

http://www.explorenewengland.com/travel ... _sightings

Aspen

GREAT VERMONT DRIVING ROUTES

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:39 am

Folks, let's setup a new thread with driving routes highly recommended by locals and others on this Fall Foliage Forum. Over the years, on this great Fall Foliage forum, I have followed many people's requesting recommended routes to drive. Many wonderful and supportive people have come forward with favorite or must see drives. Instead of repeating them, losing them or having to spend numerous hours trying to find them among past filed topics, suggest this Foliage Forum begin this thread. When people submit a highly recommended route, in the Subject field type what location, e.g. Stowe, Northeast Kingdom, Bennington, Route 100, Lincoln gap, Covered Bridges, etc which at a glance will assist people with finding suggested drives in areas they may be visiting.
Important the Subject area show name of recommended route or itinerary.
Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wentworth

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am

great Idea Aspen--Ctyanky and others have mentioned the Toll Roads, and CT has mentioned a few of her favorites--but the more the merrier--We're always looking for off the main roads scenic streets--We have the JIMAPCO map this year lol

Aspen

Please Post Recommended Vermont Routes

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Calling Ctyanky, PWT, Andy, Wentworth, Abby, MMVT, Admin, BM and ALL other regulars and NEWCOMERS to post some of your past and present recommended driving routes in Vermont to this thread.
Agree, many have already shared wonderful Vermont driving routes. New viewers may not be aware of them nor know where to find all those wonderful routes that are tucked away and scattered throughout many past forums. Even regulars have to hunt around to retrieve them.
Believe alot of backtracking, hunting and retyping routes will be spared.
Nothing like driving down a beaten path that's recommended by those who have "been there."
Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.