THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy
Site Admin

Re: VERMONT PONDS AND LAKES

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:54 pm

When I get to my computer, I can set it up as a sticky thread
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Knew it would be Andy to the rescue! Thank you!
The Waterfalls website thread will reach out to so many folks who enjoy and photograph waterfalls! This website which Peeper shared lists numerous waterfalls throughout Vermont.
Again, thanks Peeper and Andy.

Aspen

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Peeper: Good point on the times and locations. I went back and edited mine. 2 of 3 are easy drivers. The Owls Head overlook would take some effort, but looks to be worth it.
Andy

Andy
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Aspen: I have learned that there was actually a pretty long thread on Waterfalls about 3 years back. I need some time to go back and pull it up. I think it is a good idea to create a Waterfalls Category sticky here, like drives, ponds, etc. I will do that when time permits, but probably too late for this season. Just returned from a long week in SF and am catching up here at work and trying to get my body back on Eastern Time. Leave at the crack of dawn Thursday to shoot foliage somewhere (have a plan, but based on leaf and weather conditions, also have a "plan B" :-) ). But it does make sense as a permanent thread either here or on the Photography Forum. I may check with Tim and see what his thoughts are.
Andy

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Thanks Andy, now, that you've discovered there was a long thread on waterfalls some three years back, confirms that the thread got buried and is not readily accessible. Indeed, warrants being a sticky thread of its own. I suggested Peeper repost the website so it would stand alone but since it has not been reposted, I will post it for Peeper to assure those checking the Scenes of Vermont Forum for the 2011 Vermont Fall Foliage Season will have access to the website at a glance. Then, when you come up for air from all your travels :wink: , work demands and photography ops, you may get around to organizing the Waterfall sticky.

Aspen

Edited note: Vermont Waterfalls website has been posted on Forum

ct999

Postby ct999 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Here's a 15-shot panorama that I took from Lewis Pond Overlook last week -- Oct 7, 2011:

http://www.chriswtanner.com/images/panoramas/lewis_pond_overlook_900.jpg

Btw, the Four Mile Rd and Lewis Pond Rd aren't TOO bad until the very end, which starts around the turn for Lewis Pond Overlook. Some of the road's rocks were gigantic and scraped the bottom of my car a few times. It wasn't fun driving there, and it took at least 1 hour each way on the entire Four Mile-LewisPond stretch.

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Chris: You did a beautiful job on the panorama! Glad you got there. I think the ride in and out is gorgeous. Did you get any other photos of the drive to and from?

Yes, I remember the rocks at the end but I wasn't driving. The scenery is to die for! Weren't the views of the overlook worth it???

By the way, welcome to the forum! Hope you can share your other photos of Vermont as well!

Aspen

Re: VERMONT WATERFALLS

Postby Aspen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks Andy for retrieving the Vermont Waterfalls thread.
In this thread, resubmitting this specific website for Vermont Waterfalls for quick reference and also assure it does not get lost.
Although, the conclusion of the 2011 Fall Foliage season in Vermont has arrived in many areas of Vermont, waterfalls may be enjoyed any season!

http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com/data ... st&sort=VT

Aspen

ctyanky

Re: Best scenic views/Must see spots

Postby ctyanky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi SOV viewers: I have made MMVT's post for "Best Scenic Views/Must See Spots" a sticky because there are some excellent resources in this post that will be of value to you for this upcoming foliage season. I hope you can scroll through some of the responses for some great roads with long views and so on. There were some terrific contributions! Enjoy! :D

ctyanky

5 Fall Foliage Drives in Addison County

Postby ctyanky » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi everyone: I was going through my "VT Book Bag" sorting and sorting for the upcoming trip and found the Addison County Independent Fall Foliage Special Section from 2011 that bm gave me last year. I thought it was excellent and by googling for a bit, I found the five drives online to share with all of you. bm, our moderator direct from Addison County, has taken me on so many of these roads at different times and sections. Addison County is absolutely gorgeous! I am very fortunate that bm has become such a good friend of mine and we have tooled around the countryside of her county many times! It may be that the foliage in these drives changes a tad later due to the close proximity of Lake Champlain. Maybe she will chime in with comments at some point but I hope you enjoy the link and the drives, designated by the time it takes to complete the route: 1, 2, 3 or 4 hours or a day trip. Enjoy!

It was entitled "Discover Addison County's Back Road Splendor".

http://www.addisonindependent.com/?q=node/2807

bm

Re: GREAT VERMONT DRIVING ROUTES

Postby bm » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 am

I love Addison County. But then again I live here LOL. We have mountains, flatlands, farms etc. A little bit of everything.
My favorite towns to drive around are probably Lincoln for mountain scenery - West Hill is a favorite and Ferrisburgh/Charlotte (Charlotte is in Chittenden County though) for rolling hills and valleys and Lake Champlain. Greenbush Road, Hinesburg Road, Prindle Road, Roscoe Road etc. It's all really awesome.
If anyone has any specific questions about the area let me know.

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:49 am

yeah, we like the 2 gap roads also, lincoln gap rd and Rt. 125

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am

Rt 232 going north, from Rt 2, in late S ept2010 it was a beautiful sight, then to Owl's Head, and that quick hike to see K ettle Pond from way up high--beautiful--great color everywhere

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 pm

Http://www.Foliage-vermont.com has some outstanding printable maps and driving directions. Upon getting to this site, check the column on the left side for tabs. Click on: Driving tours.
There will be a list of some planned, great maps and driving directions for the following areas of Vermont:

Favorite Highway routes
Northeast Kingdom
Covered bridges tour in Northern Vermont
Lake Champlain Area
South Central Vermont
Quechee-Woodstock area
Biking Tours

Happy rolling along,

Aspen
Last edited by Aspen on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmvt

Postby mmvt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:05 pm

Driving Routes near Calais - there is another thread on this, but here is one way to highlight this great sticky for those who might otherwise miss it :-)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3099

Return to “Foliage Forum”