THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

kcflanders

Re: BEST SCENIC VIEWS/MUST SEE SPOTS!

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm a sucker for Grist Mills. Is there a website that lists them for Vermont? I know of the ones in Weston, Jericho, Guildhall, Vergennes, 108 just South of Jeffersonville. Any others that are scenic?

Aspen

Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:40 am

One of Vermont's treasured gems is the Old Red Mill and Museum located in
Jericho, Vermont on Route 15
It is a National Historical Site of an 1885 gristmill. It is a beautiful and scenic area throughout all seasons.
The museum has an informative exhibit of snowflake research/pictures by "Snowflake" Bentley.
Google: Old Red Mill Jericho, Vermont
Also check these websites:
http://www.jerichohistoricalsociety.org ... -mill.html
http://snowflakebentley.com/
Check top of this Forum's Great Vermont Driving Routes sticky thread (page 6)
DGehman71 posted beautiful pictures of the Old Red Mill and nearby scenes with driving directions to this gristmill from areas
of Jeffersonville/Cambridge: Pleasant Valley and Bryce Road

Aspen

deaner1971

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:39 pm

In a conversation about the Fall Get Together, I posted this map of some of my SoVT favorites:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Old ... 480576!3e0

Not all of my favorites but, a nice chunk.

I also enjoy the walk along the West River very much.

mgdolly86

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:07 pm

We are visiting Vermont for first time this weekend between 9-12th Oct for fall colors (staying in Tunbridge on friday night and in waterbury on Saturday and Sunday night)..

We would like to do some scenic drives, visit a water body(lake,pond or reservoir for morning shot with fog), check out some covered bridges with back drop of fall colors and hopefully some farms..

Some of routes i picked up are below, please suggest if it would be nice this weekend?
Rt 108 between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch
Montpelier, Worcester and Lake(56 miles) - Elmore http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sport ... es/drives7
Stowe Hollow, Little River Dam, Ben & Jerry's and Cold Hollow Cider Mill (38miles) -http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/sport ... es/drives5

One more spot we picked up is Groton State Park - Kettle Pond and Owls Head Hike after seeing some fantastic pics.. Also please let us know if there are other photo ops or points which we should check other than Owls head?

Please help us with some suggestions on covered bridges and water bodies for early morning with fog and reflection and have always loved them..

Also any farms around to take pictures of cows with backdrop of fall colored mountains?

Highly appreciate your inputs for making our trip memorable.

mgdolly86

Re: VERMONT PONDS AND LAKES

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Andy wrote:Another look at Lake Willoughby, October, 2010:

It is an amazing shot - could you please guide us from were is this shot taken/any direction? Is it a morning/afternoon/evening shot? We are going to Lake Willoughby near Sutton so please help us with details how to find a spot to take this pictures? BTW are colors good during this year/today in Lake Willoughby?

Andy

Re: VERMONT PONDS AND LAKES

Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:06 pm

MG: This shot was taken at the south end of the lake and was mid-morning. Vermont 5A goes around the north end of the lake and flanks the east side down to the south end. You can take 5A out of West Burke and when you see the lake, you are there. Because I have a close friend who lives in Barton, I have always approached it from there. Take 5A east out of the Village of Barton. One plus is that on the way, you see Crystal Lake.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:26 am

In an effort to "unclutter" the top of the board, this is the "new" "sticky" Thread for all the information posted as scenic drives, scenic views, ponds, lakes, streams, waterfalls, etc. All former sticky threads have been merged into this topic. You should be able to search this topic for information on what to see and how to get there.

If you have a great spot or drive that fits the criteria of the title, please post it, with detailed directions and title the post appropriately (e.g., "Driving Route," "Waterfall," "Scenic View" etc.

This is NOT THE PLACE TO POST QUESTIONS about what the best place to go, best time to go, where is a place, etc. Please first search the board for your answer and if you don't find it, start a thread and someone will answer (note that the board is very busy from late August - early November and then pretty dormant during winter - summer months - be patient)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .