THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Janice: I too miss the Fool on the Hill. I sent some friends there last year and they were having a going out of business sale! So disappointed! I remember that corn grilled outside on the hill on that huge pit. Delicious! The place was filled with wonderful stuff and all the animals cascading down the hill were a sight to behold!

Quechee Gorge is great and so is Hildene. You have some good spots listed!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:24 pm

mmvt: I've been there and it is a great stop for sure! Love the stores that have dogs greeting the customers. Makes me feel right at home! The cheeses there are excellent.

Aspen

Sugarbush labrador greeter

Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Agree, with all the comments about the stores or parking lots! with friendly "dog greeters"
For anyone who visits Sugarbush Farms in Pomeret, there was a darling, black, labrador that greeted us three different seasons. Last season, leaving the parking lot, the labrador was sound asleep in the middle of the road. I got out to wake it up. Was afraid someone would not see the dog and drive over it. Seemed startled and gave me a bark as if saying, "Can't you see I'm sleeping? Drive around me" The labrador would not budge so watch for that darling labrador who may be taking a catnap in the middle of the road after a long day of greeting folks at Sugarbush! Love that labrador!

Aspen

new_to_USA

Which place will hav peak fall colors on oct 2nd & 3rd?

Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi,

I am from New Jersey. I am planning to see fall colors in Vermont/ New Hampshire area. I have not visited these places during fall colors so far. Can some body guide me on places where you can find peak fall colors on the 2nd and 3rd day of October? week days are not possible due to work

I was thinking about NEK. Is it going to be too late for this place? If yes, can you please suggest other places that is expected to have good fall colors on that week end? Can you please suggest the scenic drives as well?

Rockwall Tim

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Welcome! Since I haven't heard anything to indicate that this year's color will be early or late, I'm going to assume that the season's timing will be normal. That being the case, the dates you mentioned will probably be perfect for visiting the NEK.

As for specific places, just use this forum thread...it's filled with great ideas. Spend an hour or two going throughout this great website and you'll be chock-full of great destinations!
II Cor. 4:17

Aspen

Hot Air Balloons over Quechee Gorge

Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:00 pm

Whether interests may be viewing, photographing or soaring in a hot air balloon, when in Quechee, Vermont, check this website for not only the information of when ( call for hour) and where (to be) but pictures.
Click on picture in upper left corner. The hot air balloon in this picture is over the Ottauquechee River. In the background is the Green where some hot air balloons are launched. In this picture is the outstanding Simon Pearce Restaurant which is right of the hot air balloon. In front of this hot air balloon which is not in the picture is a covered bridge.
Scroll down, click on picture of Balloon Over Gorge by Rick Russell
By clicking the blue photo bar, more pictures may be viewed.
www.balloonsofvermont.com
Phone: 802-369-0213
There's a walkway on the bridge that crosses Quechee Gorge. The walkway is an ideal location for viewing and photographing the Gorge.
With Mother nature throwing in some colorful foliage, being in or nearby Quechee, Vermont, do not miss this beautiful sight by checking local Hot Air Balloon websites for when (time) and where launchings may occurr.

Another local website for hot air balloons is
www.balloonsovernewengland.com
Phone: 1-800-788-5562

Regardless to season, the entire area of Quechee, Vermont is very scenic. It's a thrill to be there at the right time and right place to experience the beauty of seeing hot air balloons overhead. Do not leave this experience to chance. With access to the information on these websites, plan so you will be at the right place; at the right time!

Whether you are on land or in the air, the beauty of a hot air balloon drifting over Quechee will make your hearts soar with delight!

Aspen

Rockwall Tim

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:31 pm

We may not get to Weston this trip, so can anyone recommend a good place to get fudge in the NEK or Connecticut River Valley?
II Cor. 4:17

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:55 am

I'm sure I saw a lot of fudge at the Green Mountain Sugar House in Ludlow.

www.gmsh.com

sreek

overwhelmed!

Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:24 am

Overwhelmed with all the great info. We will be visiting Vermont first time next weekend. One night near littleton and the other night near Stowe. Could you guys please suggest some great spots to see foliage and take some photographs? Any place near a pond/lake would be great for photography :)

faxmachineanthem

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:52 am

sreek,
Last year we drove the a loop from Littleton. 93 South to 112 West (the Kancamagus Hwy) to 302 North. Really amazing drive. Different than Vermont -- more mountainous and dramatic, whereas I think most of vermont is more pretty and serene. Sugar Hill Road (Rt 117) is also very pretty. The Sugar Hill Meetinghouse on that road makes for some nice pictures.

Around Stowe, there are great views from the top of Mt Mansfield toll road, Smuggler's Notch, and the Trapp Family Lodge, to mention the more popular spots. But there are also a lot of back roads to the east and west of Route 100 that are great to wander around, like the area around Elmore Mountain Road and Cole Hill Road. Also to the west of 108 around Jeffersonville, such as the Pleasant Valley Road.

pwt54

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 pm

Rockwall Tim, in the NH side of the Connecticut River Valley, I get my sweets at the Bath Country Store and Chutters in Littleton.

BostonRott

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Rte 100A through Plymouth (running between Rte's 100 and 4) is a lovely drive. About 3/4 of the way from Plymouth up to Bridgewater corners is a little side road called Hale Hollow Road. It's literally an elbow that goes off Rte 100A and then comes back on. Shot this around 9:30a, after having been to Jenne Farm and Cloudland Road.......and returning to Ludlow. This was Oct 9, 2008.

Gretchen

lirwin13

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:27 pm

BostonRott: What a gorgeous shot! I will put Hale Hollow Road on my "to do" list while in the Plymouth area next weekend!

BostonRott

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:56 pm

I haven't explored too far down the road......though now that I have my Jimapco, I'm ready to head off! :D :D

This is a morning shot for sure. There's also a really cool barn RIGHT on the roadside (as in mere inches from the pavement). I tried to shoot it last year, and even at 14mm on a full-frame camera, it was a tough shot (at least ot make it look nice). Let me dig through some files and see if I saved any of those attempts. :wink:

ETA: It looks as though I deleted all of those pics, sorry! :shock:
Gretchen

Aspen

Local Driving Routes Map

Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:28 am

If new to getting around in Vermont, pick up a free Resort Map of some towns you may be visiting from Vermont Visitors' Centers, Chamber of Commerce, many local stores' entrance areas and restaurants' entrance areas. They look like "placemats" Many have maps on both sides. They are very easy to follow for driving routes in a specific town you may be visiting. Also leads you to many interesting places.

Aspen