THE BEST OF VERMONT; Scenic Drives, Viewpoints, Ponds, Lakes, Streams, Bridges and Buildings

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

mmvt

BEST SCENIC VIEWS/MUST SEE SPOTS!

Postby mmvt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:44 am

Every year this forum gets FILLED with lots of amazing information, tips, driving routes, etc. There are always really good descriptions of various 'must see' and/or scenic views and they are submitted from regular people who have discovered the amazing beauty that can be found throughout VT. I'd like to start this thread as a way for us to make those contributions and to also use when I'm in VT.

So, to start - some of my 'must see' spots include:

the "GAP roads" during peak
the view from Killington peak on a crystal clear day
Andover Hill road (south of Ludlow)
Cloudland Road (outside of Woodstock)
Bethel MOuntain Road (between Rochester and Bethel)
Common Road in Waitsfield
Kindgom Road (Plymouth)
Route 100A (Plymouth)
Lefferts Pond (Chittenden)

I'm sure I'll think of others but hope that people will use this thread to add some of YOUR 'must see' spots!
Last edited by mmvt on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From_the_NEK

Postby From_the_NEK » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:08 am

In the NEK...
Jay Peak Tram (on a clear day)
Lake Willoughby
Island Pond
Burke Mtn Toll Road (on a clear day)
Craftsbury
Peacham/Danville

and any roads running along ridge tops that connect the above locations :D

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:23 am

Rt 108 between Stowe and Smuggler's Notch--a MUST for newbies
Burke Mtn Rd on a Sunny day yes!
Gap roads yes such as Rt 73 and Rt 125, Rt 125 is our favorite at peak on a bright cloudy day
Interstate 89 going south from Montpelier into New Hampshire
Interstate 93 going south from St Johnsbury
Kancamagus Hwy(Rt 112) in New Hampshire, last 2 years beautiful,but 2007 there was no color cuz of big drought, this year should be fine
Interstate 93 in New Hampshire going south from Rt. 302 into the White mountains

Aspen

Postby Aspen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:37 am

Others have suggested great scenic areas, will add:

Drive along Lamoille River Hogback Road Jeffersonville/Johnson

Route 100 (North to South)

hjb

and don't forget to just open up the car door and explore ..

Postby hjb » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:11 pm

on foot, some of the best eye candy has been found in the villages between the road trips. stone walls dripping with discarded rainbow leaves, old buildings transported from another century, pumpkin faces biding their time until they burst with orange flame on a special night. god bless whoever the genius was that invented autumn in new england.

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:26 pm

Sorry for the long list :wink: - years of travel:

1. Ridge Road, from Brookfield Center to Randolph Center and again facing west on Route 66 at Route 89 crossroads at District 4's Randolph Gorge entrance parking lot.
2. Bragg Hill, Waitsfield
3. Roxbury Mountain Road, either into Warren or out of Warren from Northfield. Unbelievable in both directions.
4. Darling Hill Road, East Burke.
5. Hazen's Notch, route 58 from Montgomery to Irasburg
6. Hardscrabble Road, Bristol
7. Danville Hill Road, Cabot
8. Skyline Drive, Mt. Equinox, Manchester
9. Burton Hill Road, Barton
10. Carpenter Hill Road, Bennington
11. View from top of Mt. Philo of Champlain Valley
12. Cabot Plains Road, Cabot
13. Ducharme Road, Cabot
14. East Hill Road, Calais
15. Cloud Brook Road, Barnet
16. Garland Hill Road, Barnet

Paulette Brewster

Postby Paulette Brewster » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:51 pm

THAT is my kind of list!! thank you!

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:47 pm

ctyanky wrote:Sorry for the long list :wink: - years of travel:

1. Ridge Road, from Brookfield Center to Randolph Center and again facing west on Route 66 at Route 89 crossroads at District 4's Randolph Gorge entrance parking lot.
2. Bragg Hill, Waitsfield
3. Roxbury Mountain Road, either into Warren or out of Warren from Northfield. Unbelievable in both directions.
4. Darling Hill Road, East Burke.
5. Hazen's Notch, route 58 from Montgomery to Irasburg
6. Hardscrabble Road, Bristol
7. Danville Hill Road, Cabot
8. Skyline Drive, Mt. Equinox, Manchester
9. Burton Hill Road, Barton
10. Carpenter Hill Road, Bennington
11. View from top of Mt. Philo of Champlain Valley
12. Cabot Plains Road, Cabot
13. Ducharme Road, Cabot
14. East Hill Road, Calais
15. Cloud Brook Road, Barnet
16. Garland Hill Road, Barnet
wow what a list, I'll check the JIMAPCO street atlas for those that are north of Killington

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Eeek, more.... :roll:

17. Enosburg Mountain Road, Enosburg
18. Pleasant Valley Road, Cambridge
19. Route 9 from Bratt to Wilmington (overlook top)
20. Route 12 South from Montpelier (Phil's favorite)
21. Glorious Route 15 esp. around Wolcott/Hardwick (last year? Amazing color)
22. Route 118 out of Eden, BELVIDERE POND, WOW to route 109 west to Waterville
23. Route 242 from Montgomery to Jay

wentworth

Postby wentworth » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:10 pm

ok ct since you bolded it, we'll check out 118 just off 100--we'll check out route 12 also

faxmachineanthem

Postby faxmachineanthem » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 am

Wow ct, thanks for posting that list. I had about half of them marked already. The rest will be added to the trusty GPS. 8)

This one part confuses me:
"and again facing west on Route 66 at Route 89 crossroads at District 4's Randolph Gorge entrance parking lot". I saw pwt54 mention the same spot. Does that just mean the intersection of 66 west and 89?

ctyanky

Postby ctyanky » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:26 am

FAX: Yes, it is at the intersection of 66 West and 89. (The reason I put the Gorge lot there is because we parked at a precarious spot, not too bright, for viewing. The gorge is to your right. Probably ok to park there.

Do not confuse with route 65 at Brookfield where the infamous Floating Bridge is. Do stop here but don't think you can cross it presently.

Take route 12 north from this intersection to South Northfield, turn west on route 64 to Roxbury and pick up the Roxbury Mountain Road to Warren for an incredible loop.

From_the_NEK

Postby From_the_NEK » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 am

Scenic Drive, DRIVING ROUTE - I call this one NEK Southwest-short:
I cobbled this together from various roads I driven over the years (mostly off the beaten path). LOTS of turns here. The road layout in western Caledonia and Orleans Countys do not follow a nice linear pattern along the ridgelines as they do in the Passumpsic River Valley making for a lot more turns. There are still wonderful rollling farmland views to be had along this route. Good Luck!

Starting point is the Comfort Inn off of I-91 Exit 20 in St. Johnsbury, VT

Directions in Google Maps:
Short Loop (NEK SW-short)http://g.co/maps/ddvrp 30 miles of driving
Long Loop (NEK SW) https://goo.gl/maps/K2Tsfp134c72 82 miles of driving

S Wheelock/Stannard Mtn Rd:

Can't remember specifically where this one is along the route:

Hubbard Hill Road (recommended time between 2-3:30PM for best light on a sunny day)

Edit 9/27/11: Heavily revised to clean up content. Hopefully no one got too lost with the old directions :wink:
Last edited by From_the_NEK on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.

bm

Colvin Hill

Postby bm » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:54 am

Found a new OMG spot.
Colvin Hill Road in Danby. You must travel it heading north from Danby toward Tinmouth for the wow factor.

Aspen

NEK's Suggested Drives

Postby Aspen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:34 pm

NEK thanks so very much for sharing what has been and will be great drives in the Northeast Kingdom for viewers on this Forum who have or may have had the opportunity to visit while in Vermont. Also, thanks for posting your many beautiful pictures of some of the areas along the drives that beckon "Come!"
Some out of towners will be only able to make a day trip to the Northeast Kingdom. Taking that into consideration, which of your two wonderful drives on this thread would you recommend for a day trip? Is it possible to drive, both, your previous drive posted which is in the Lyndonville/Burke areas and this additional Northwest of NEK drive in a day? Next, advise driving conditions for the Northwest of NEK drive. What are roads like, paved, dirt, bumpy? Need a high car clearance or four wheel drive? My husband advised I not plan any more drives like the one lane, dirt road drive we experienced last year to the Lewis Pond Overlook. I will never hear the last of that from him when suggesting drives! Was planning to drive the Lyndonville/Burke Mountain drive prior to your dangling another "carrot" in front of me with your Northwest of NEK drive. Oh, the dilemnas of so much beauty to see and so little time then you have another drive planned for next year....trying to get there, let alone keep up with you, NEK! :wink: Again, appreciate all the time and efforts you have invested in assuring folks some wonderful drives in the Northeast Kingdom. What a Kingdom to behold!

Aspen

Return to “Foliage Forum”